Chapter 24: An Eye-Opening Experience

Hello! Sorry for the wait. I have an exam Friday and I'm trying to study. Here's the next chapter! Thank you for 1.35k views and 95 votes! I love you all so much! Enjoy :)

  I spent the rest of the day talking with Felia and Kylanne. Henina didn't talk with us and every time the girls weren't looking at her, she would look at me, daggers shooting from her eyes. I definitely didn't remember meeting her. Why would she hate me? I never did something wrong in my life. How could I have done something that she disliked? Felia and Kylanne left before supper but Henina stayed behind. Now I would be able to ask her why she hated me. She cut me before I said anything.
"I don't want to listen to you. I didn't want to be your lady-in-waiting, I was forced to be. I don't know how you charmed Rilos into believing your pathetic story. He is miserable and it's your fault. Making him believe that you can't look at him because you're traumatized makes him sad. He was happy before you came in the picture. You don't deserve him. I don't care what your tattoos say or what he thinks. You should not be together. If you hadn't been there, he would have chosen me as a queen, like he did in the past centuries with other women. You should leave this castle before he falls too deep in a depression caused from your lies."
On those words, she left the room, slamming the door behind her. I fell down. Was he really miserable? Was I making him suffer because I couldn't look at him? Was he really going to marry Henina before he found me? Had he married other women in the centuries he was alive? Had everyone lied to me to protect me from the truth? Maybe I should go away. That way, he could go back to being happy. I got up and wrote a letter to him.

"Dear Rilos,

I'm sorry for making you so sad. I didn't know that me not being able to see you as a human made you so miserable. I won't get in the way anymore. Please don't try to find me and marry the one you were supposed to before I came in the picture. No matter what happens, you'll always be in my heart even if I leave a part of it with you.

Forever yours,

Lyra."

I remembered what he had told me about my powers. If I can imagine it, I can do it. I did exactly that, I imagined myself back at the Northern wolves' castle, near the disappearing room. There, he wouldn't be able to find me.
I appeared in front of it. Nobody was around, so I got in and closed the door. It was like I had left it last time. The red streaks on the wall and a single sheet. I closed the door and my eyes. I propped myself against the wall and sat down. My heart was hurting from being far away from Rilos, but it was for his own good. I wanted him to be happy and if me being there was in the way of his happiness, I would leave even if it killed me. Then again, if I died, he would die. I was better off trying to be alive as long as I could. Being that far away hurt way more than I thought. It was like someone constantly ripping my heart out of my chest. I hoped that it wasn't the same for Rilos. I didn't want him to suffer more than he already was. Tears were falling freely from my eyes. I covered them with my hands, sobbing harder and harder. I knew Rilos wouldn't be able to find me here. This room was still protected by Dark-Soul's power even though he didn't have them anymore. I knew he had considered this possibility and had ensured that the protections would hold even if he didn't have the power to hold them anymore. I could hear a commotion happening outside, but I didn't care. No one would find me here, nobody knew this room existed except Dark-Soul, Sadist and me. Someone was shouting and running. Rilos needed to find a new Alpha, because those wolves were out of control. The footsteps were getting closer and suddenly stopped. The door flung open.
"Thank the stars, I found you."
Rilos was in his human form. Good thing my eyes were closed.
"Never disappear like that again. I thought someone had taken you away."
He sat down. I left you a note.
"Yeah, I saw it. You should have asked me those things. You chose to trust someone you had known for a couples of hours instead of your soul-mate. Do you know how I felt seeing that note? I felt like everything I said didn't matter to you, that you would never trust me. I tried to reason myself, to make myself believe that you were just so scared of men that you could think logically, but it still broke my heart. When you disappeared, the pain I felt was so horrible, I thought you had died. The only thing that prevented me from going mad is that I could still feel you somewhere in my mind. I followed the link and appeared here. I thought that somehow, Mikyan had escaped and brought you back here. I couldn't feel you in the castle and then I remembered you talking about this room. I found you and believe me when I say that I will never let you leave my sight again for a very long time."
I had started crying harder during his speech. I know I should have trusted you, but I knew that Satie and you would silence things that could hurt me. I didn't see any reasons why she would lie to me.
"Lyra, I want you to open your eyes."
My heart skipped a beat and I slowly backed away. Please, don't make me do this, I'm not ready.
"You are ready. You're just scared that you'll see Mikyan in me and won't be able to focus on anything else. I need you to trust me. I don't look like him and you are ready to take this next step. Trust me and trust yourself. I want you to look me in the eyes while I tell you what you want to know. I want you to be able to tell that I'm not lying."
I put my hands over my eyes and opened them. I dropped my eyes to the ground and slowly took my hands away from my face. I looked at the floor and moved my sight towards the door. I saw his legs crossed, his hands resting on his knees. He had big hands. I continued up. When I caught the sight of his neck, I froze. I couldn't go higher. Fear never was a rational emotion. I knew I shouldn't be scared, because I knew he wasn't Sadist. I couldn't bring myself to look at his face. Tears blurred my vision.
"Lyra, look at my hair. They are different from Mikyan, I'm not him. You can do this."
His hair were long and straight, held in a pony tail. They were a dark blonde colour unlike Sadist's which were platinum blonde, almost white. I let out a shaky sigh of relief. He was like me, his hair and wolf didn't match. He wasn't Sadist. My sight traveled up his neck, to his lips, nose and, finally, eyes. They were the same colour as his wolf's, a deep, warm brown.
"Hi, sweetheart."
Hi, I smiled. I dried my tears with the back of my hand.
"I'm sorry that I forced you to open your eyes even if you told me that you weren't ready. "
You didn't force me to do anything. If I had wanted, I would have kept my eyes closed. I opened them because you were right. I was scared of seeing him in you and going back to be scared of being in the same room as you. I was scared of you seeing me as a lesser person if it happened. He came closer. He stopped when I flinched at about 2ft of distance between us.
"There is no way that I ever would see you as a lesser person. You are so strong, Lyra, more than you know. I mean, look at us. We're standing less than 2ft away. A week ago, you wouldn't have let me come this close. You were abused your whole life and even more in the last months. It would be completely normal for you not to trust me and yet, you do. More than you think. Today, you realized that you don't know me that much and that's okay. We've known each other only for a little time, but I would have answered your questions if you had asked me instead of running away. Good job on the teleportation by the way. You had never practiced and you got it on your first try."
I remembered what you had told me.
"If you can imagine it, you can do it."
Yes. Are you mad at me?
"No, no, sweetheart. The only way I could be mad at you is if you killed or hurt someone innocent deliberately."
So you wouldn't be mad if... I don't know, left you for someone else. Not that it's going to happen. He started laughing hysterically. I frowned at him, trying to look angry, but I couldn't be mad at him, not when he was laughing so hard.
"Sorry, Lyra. I'm not laughing at you. It's just that no one would get in between soul-mates, not even me. You might not have realized the last thing yet, but I have. When you have found your soul-mate, you don't see anyone else. Only that person counts. Remember that no matter how many times or how far you go, I'll always find you, because I can't live without you."