Chapter 42: My Side

Hey guys! I know it took me a long time to publish the new chapter, but I had two intense weeks of summer class and had no time to write at all :( Now, it's done so I should be able to post more often! Hopefully I passed my class and won't have to do it again. Also, 4.16k views and 413 votes!!! You are so awesome and I love you all so much <3 Have fun reading the next chapter and don't forget to vote and comment :)

I took Rilos' hand, holding it between mine to give me courage.
"When you came in that day, I could feel that something was different, wrong. You were cold, like a predator. You didn't smile when you saw me. You..."
I shook my head. It hadn't been him. It was Henina.
"Henina grabbed me by the throat, slammed me against the wall and pinned my arms above my head. She said that she had waited long enough and that I needed to be marked before biting my shoulder. Is that something we are supposed to do? Are you going to bite me?" I asked, concern written all over me.
He sighed.
"We'll talk about it later. Finish your story first."
"You know what happened after. You arrived, I freaked out. Kylanne calmed me down and I fell asleep. When I woke up, I was stuck in my own head. I was scared; I didn't know how to get out or why this was happening. And then, your grandmother appeared."
"My grandmother?" he said, softly.
I showed her to him.
"That's her," he confirmed. "What did she say to you?"
"She told me that it was okay to fall and that you would always catch me. She said that you would get me out of the hole and that I should help you do the same. After she disappeared, I still had no clue on how to get out. I was hearing Sadist's and Henina's voices taunting and belittling me. Then I heard you. You were asking me to come back, so I did and I woke up."
"It worked? You woke up? Why wasn't I informed?"
"You weren't because of what happened during that time. When I woke up, the girls cried and I told them what happened with Henina. They went back to sleep and I decided to take a shower because I felt dirty. I smelled your shampoo and realized that Henina didn't smell like you at all. I snapped. I was so mad at myself, Rilos. I felt like everything was my fault because I didn't pick that up."
My hands were trembling around his and a tear fell on them. His other hand approached carefully to catch the ones which were still hanging on my cheek. He stopped short of touching me to see how I would react. I was still a bit scared, but my craving for his touch was stronger. I leaned into his palm, pressing my cheek against his skin. He smiled and stroked his thumb underneath my eye.
"It wasn't your fault, sweetheart. She attacked you."
"I know, you told me that before. One day, I'll accept it. Besides, I'm not the only one here who's bottling up unnecessary guilt."
He groaned.
"Then the shower exploded."
"It did what?"
"I made it explode, unconsciously."
"Were you hurt?"
I moved my hair away. They had hid the gashes from him.
"Oh no, sweetheart. Can I?" he asked.
I nodded. He removed his hand from my cheek and slid his fingers over the cut. They were shaking.
"How deep were they?"
"I don't know. You'll have to ask Nerika."
"They almost went through. Lyra, I could have lost you. A bit deeper and you would have died. It would have cut through your spine. Why didn't they heal completely?"
"I don't know. No one does. Then again, that's not the first time either."
"Would you let me try?"
"Go ahead."
The sides of my neck tingled as Rilos swiped his finger across my wounds.
"It worked. Your body let me heal them," he sighed in relief. "What happened after you got cut?"
"The girls heard the explosion and Kylanne rushed inside the bathroom. She tried to stop the bleeding but it wasn't working. I passed out. I was stuck in a place between light and darkness and I didn't know in which I should go. Then I thought about the girls and Satie and I didn't want to make them sad. I thought about you and how, even though I was scared of you, I didn't want you to die. So I turned towards the light but it wasn't there anymore. I was running around, terrified, when you found me. When you got me out, Satie was there. She asked me if I had tried to kill myself."
"And?"
"Not consciously."
"I'm so sorry you felt that way, Lyra."
"It wasn't your fault. I got in the shower and she gave me new soap. I was scared that I would get triggered again. After that, I went in the garden. I was looking at the stars and wondering if you were looking at them as well. It comforted me to know that it could be the case. I reached out to them and a pink light ball appeared. That was you wasn't it?"
"I was wondering if you had received it. I wanted to send you a bit of love and that's the way I found to be the least scary. Plus, we already had two of those."
"Thank you and now, we have even more. Look at what I did."
I took his hand and pulled him back inside, pointing at the ceiling. He made the room go as dark as during the night and looked up. He squeezed my hand and smiled.
"These are really beautiful, Lyra. I like them."
I smiled at him. It made me happy that he liked it. He brought back light in our bedroom and pulled me outside. We sat down like before, his hand still between mine.
"When I was done with the lights, I was a bit discouraged because I didn't know how to be less scared of you. I couldn't even think of you as a wolf without being terrified. Satie helped me be less frightened by remembering happy memories I had with you."
"Really? Care to show them to me?"
I did, but I forgot to omit the one where he was shirtless. A glint of amusement appeared in his eyes.
"So that's how you see me, uh? A sexy half-naked man?"
I tried to hide my face in embarrassment but Rilos was gently holding my hands down.
"We already talked about you hiding from me, Lyra," he chuckled.
"I don't see you as just a sexy half-naked man."
"So you do admit that I am sexy?"
"Maybe, but I know that you are also caring, gentle, that you would do anything for me, even if it means hurting yourself, and that you love me. That's what's important. You being gorgeous is just a bonus."
He stayed still, a smile on the corner of his lips. As he wasn't doing anything but looking at me softly, I finished my story.
"Talia came in our bedroom at the break of dawn and talked to Satie. I heard your name and the word "self-inflicted". I felt your pain and sadness through the link. I was so worried, Rilos. I asked Satie to tell me where you were but she refused. I had to find you no matter what so I followed our link and appeared in the forest near you. I was terrified, but when I heard you break your hand, I couldn't just stay there and do nothing. I ran to stop you. When you didn't recognize me, I was more scared of you having gone mad than I was of you. You know the rest. I just can't believe that it took me 7 hours to calm down."
"Well I thought that it would take you over a day so you exceeded my expectations. Do you have any questions before I start telling my side of the story?"
"No, I'll ask once you are done."
"Very well."