Chapter 12

Rory Pov

We arrive at Thayer and Blae's house. The first thing Thayer does is sniff my breath. I backed away and said, "That was a joke. My breath really doesn't smell like that."

"Just making sure. That cow shit was not about to come up in here."

It went like this for a while. Whenever someone would come in, they would look at me and sniff. I shook my head.  I guess I deserved that. Our first encounter wasn't the best one. I was trying to get back at Ragnar.

At the dinner table I felt the need to clear the air. "Hello, everyone. I just wanted to say I know our first encounter wasn't the best. I was just playing a thoughtless and cruel  prank on Ragnar because I was angry at him. My breath doesn't really smell like that. I'm a botany major and I was just fooling around with some plants that I grew.

Parlon says, "oh we know about pranks around here. Blae is as childish as they come. Her and them hoodlums that she and Thayer are raising."

Blae says, " oh really Parlon and where is your wife and daughter while we're pranking you."

Parlon says, "they're right there with your ass. But my wife says you coerce her, that you make her do it."

Blae rolled her eyes and turned to me. "I'm glad that you and Ragnar came to an agreement."

"Oh yes we have. I apologized for my behavior and Ragnar and I have agreed to start over and have a traditional marriage." I smiled and turned to Ragnar.

Blae smiles at us and turns to Dawn. I've been wanting to talk to her since I saw her at the end of the table, but I don't want to do it in front of everyone.

Blae says, "so Dawn, how are you and Ian? My brother better be treating you right or else."

She smiles and says, " he's being the perfect gentleman." After she says this she drops her head back down.

Parlon says, " she's a mousy little thing isn't she."

Blae gasps, "Parlon, mind your table manners."

Ian says, " she really doesn't know anyone here yet. Just give her time, guys. She'll open up once she knows you trust me on that. She used to work at a library. This morning while brushing my teeth she talked my ear off about section G&H of the Dewey Decimal system of the library and where they keep the good books.."

Dawn gasps, "Ian!!."

"What baby, yo ass be talking, but I liked it. Now I know where to go for the good stuff if I ever have to go to a library," he smiles and kisses her forehead.

Thayer stands and says, "let's raise a glass to all the new couples. Dawn, Ian has waited a long time for you. Make sure you make him happy. He deserves it. Ian is the glue that holds us all together around here. Rory, you're the sister law I never thought I'll have. You seem to be just what my brother needs. Also keep all that botany and plant shit away from Blae, she has enough arsenal of shit to torture us with."

"What we missed," says two men walking in that I've never seen before. They come in with a whirlwind of children.

Blae says, " Casper, Arkan you have all the kids late for supper. One more time and I will not let you keep them to pick up women. I will be so glad when you two settle down, and where's Ivan with my dog. I haven't seen ash in 2 days."  She stands and starts fussing over the kids.

The kids are beautiful. Blae turns to the table. "Dawn, Rory, meet all our children. These five are mine. And these two are my cousin and her husband's children  and this little spitfire here is Parlon and Elaine's daughter."