Chapter 48

Vera

Vera walked into the building and went straight to Ragnar.

They were on the balcony smoking cigars. "Sir." Ragnar turned at the sound of her voice. She motioned for him to come to her.

"May I say you look handsome. I can't believe you're wearing a suit."

He raised a brow. "Thank you. Is there anything else?"
"Yes," she said and grabbed his shoulders and brought him down to her mouth.
She moaned then gasped as he wrapped his hands around her throat and slammed her against the wall.  Vera became hot. She moaned. "Please sir, let me please you."

Vera mistakes the look in his eyes for something else. When he leaned into her she moaned again. Her nipples pebbled.
He said, "I recently discovered that I dislike timid bitches. I prefer a fiesty woman with a real personality who speaks her mind. You are too fake for me Vera. I will never be interested in a woman like you. This is your last warning. The next time you will be permanently removed from my services."

"But sir, I will make it good."

He let her go. "Get the fuck outta my face, Vera." He lets her go and she deflates. Vera surmised that Rory tricked him good. But thankfully he will no longer be influenced by her.
******

Ragnar Pov

I walked back out to the balcony after Vera shenanigans. I made a mental note to have Ian pay her a visit. I stopped when I heard a commotion by the door.

Fear and anger clogs my throat as Detective Martin comes in carrying a passed out Rory.

"Get them." I pointed to the crowd. Jack, Diti, Seth, James and Conner go to hold the crowd back.

I motioned my head for him to bring her to the office. When he came close enough to me I took her from him. "Leave."

"Why would I do that? I came to congratulate your wife and imagine my surprise to see her drunkenly staggering in front of a dump truck."

"My wife doesn't get drunk."

"That's not what she told me."

"You talked to her."

He smiled and walked away.

I cursed. I saw Thayer walking up. "Get the driver to meet us around back. We're leaving."

He nods. I walked towards the back and placed her inside the car. As we're headed home thoughts plague me. What did she tell him? Why the fuck was she outside when I told her to stay fucking put. She doesn't fucking listen and that will get her killed. Worst, if she said anything it could bring our operation down or at the least have all of us brought in for questioning. In our world that's bad. No one will conduct business with us ever again if we're brought in for questioning. She will have to be questioned thoroughly.
My first and burning question is, why is she so disoriented. I hardly smell alcohol on her. What the fuck happened. I tried to rationalize. I really did because this is my wife and I love her.  It didn't work. I felt my mind slipping into a mania.

Rory Pov

I awoke with a massive headache. My head is pounding, hard. I rise up in bed and look around the room.
I saw Ragnar sitting in the corner in a chair.

"What happened?" I rubbed my head, hoping I could rub some of the pain away.
"What did you tell him? Why was that fucker carrying you back into the building? Why weren't you at the fucking table were I left you."

He growled so hard that I became scared. His voice sounds like an animal. Like he's trying to talk through clenched teeth.

"I don't remember. I was sitting at the table and that's all I remember. Something happened, Ragnar. I can't remember."