Chapter 19

Ragnar's Pov

This is one reason why I hate emotions. I don't know how to deal with them. When I do feel emotions I hope it's the happy ones. The hard emotions aren't nice to feel. Not for men like us. I liked it when I felt nothing. It made life easier. All kinds of emotions are attacking my heart. I dare say Ian was my favorite of all Thayer's friends. I corrected myself, he is my favorite. He isn't dead, but it doesn't look good. He was shot point blank in the chest with a sawed off shotgun.

Calder, Conner and Rick went to the hospital to protect Ian in case whoever did this wants to finish the job. The rest of us went to the crime scene. We wanted to know what the fuck happened. Usually Ian will hacked into the security system, but now we have to revert to actually going inside the place and talking to these fucking people. I've said it time and time again. Ian is a great asset to the group.

I pat Thayer on the back. He's barely holding it together. He has a blank look on his face but his eyes are red and blazed up with fire. He wants to kill soon. 

We asked for the manager of the establishment. Ian and Dawn had breakfast here. It's a nice place. Very upscale, why here?

The manager came to the front. "Sir, we're the private investigators working the case. The victim's family hired us. If we could get a look at your security camera please."

"I would love nothing more than to put those animals behind bars. But as I told the cops, the security camera is only accessed by Mr. Ferrier himself. His thumbprint accesses it."  

We all looked surprised. "Ian owns this restaurant." The managers smiled and nodded. "That he does."

We curse. Leave it to Ian to put a roadblock in our investigation.

"But if you wouldn't mind talking to Hannah, she can tell you what happened, she was out front on her phone, she got some of it on video."

"That would be great."

"I'll go get her. I'm sending her home because of the traumatic experience but I don't think she left yet, hold on please."

When he leaves Thayer says, "leave it to Ian to block us on his own damn case." Thayer smiled with so much pride.

I smiled. "I was thinking the same. Clever bastard. He's going to make it Thayer and when we catch those bastards, god help them and their families."  

"Indeed," Thayer growled. We usually don't get caught up in the whole dealings and killings. We say repeatedly that we're not the mafia. But we've had to kill on our road to success. We sell guns and drugs to the mafia and they have tried to play us for suckers so we had to wipe them out. One thing about the mafia, you have to kill everyone because someone will come back for you. Plus Ian is family. If that's not a reason to kill, then what is?

We see a girl come from the back. "I-i-m Hannah." She's shaken up. Her lips are blue and quivering.
"We're the private investigators that are working the victim's case. The manager said that you had a video of the incident."

"I did but the cops took my phone. I did save it to the cloud though. But I'll need one of your phones to access it."

Thayer hands his phone over. She logged in on her account. "Here." She handed it back to Thayer.

We hear a scream. Then the camera focuses on the scene. Ian is fighting two guys beside a van while the third guy, who's the driver, is yelling from the driver seat. It looks like they want Dawn. They keep coming for her but Ian is fighting them off. Suddenly a shot comes from the driver's side. Ian falls back at  least 3 feet and hits the pavement hard.
I detach myself emotionally from the scene so I can see details.