BUS RIDE (JINYOUNG)

You ran with all your strength to the bus stop only to find that the door was closing. You shouted so the bus driver opened the door again for you. You bowed, thanking him several times before tapping your card and walked to find an empty seat. You found one at the back of the bus and started to catch your breath. You missed your alarm this morning. You set two alarms but you snoozed them both. If your mother didn't pound on your door, you would definitely miss your first class. You put your bag on your lap and reached inside your bag to check your phone. No message meant your class schedule went as usual today. You plugged in your earphone and started to play some music. Then you started to scan your surrounding. Your gaze fell upon this boy. You were sure you've seen him couple times on the same bus. But he was already in the bus when you got on and you forgot to notice whether he got off at the same school as you. You saw he chose to stand up today, putting his own earphone to plug his ears. Probably to prevent him from hearing all those giggles directed at him. You were sure all the girls in the bus were swooned. Your bus stopped and you realized it was your stop. You immediately gathered your belongings and tapped out and jumped out of the bus. However, you jumped a bit too far and bumped into someone in front of you. You muttered sorry and bowed but when you stood back up, you saw that you bumped into that boy. He pulled out his earphone and you had no choice but to repeat your sorry again and he bowed back. You immediately ran away as you were about to be late if you didn't run to your class.

The next morning, you scanned the entire bus before noticing the same boy sitting by the window. There was an empty seat beside him. You walked and chose to sit in front of him, on the aisle seat. Your eyes met for a few second before you sat down and you felt him staring at the back of your head for a couple seconds before he shifted his gaze again. You two got off in front of your school again. You were about to ask him something but he chose to walk right away. The next day, you were lucky again to find the seat next to him was empty again. Feeling courageous, you tapped his shoulder and asked, "Can I sit here?"

He nodded and just shifted to his left, so there was enough space for you to sit comfortably without disturbing him. The two of you sat in silence as you two both plugged your earphones to your ears separately. You felt a nudge on your shoulder and you realized you dozed off a bit and he nudged you as you has arrived at the school's bus stop. You scrambled to gather your stuff and rushed to get off the bus. You thanked him briefly before running away again. The next morning, you were almost late again, but surprisingly, the seat next to him was empty again. You tapped his shoulder to ask for permission and he let you again. You searched for your earphones and didn't find them. You sighed as you had to endure the trip in boredom. Or not. You heard the girls' whisperings behind you and you could feel their stares this time. You shifted uncomfortably in your seat and you felt a nudge on your shoulder. You turned your head to see the boy next to you offered you his earphone.

"Want to share?" he asked and you received it gratefully. You were surprised to hear his playlist. It was different from your imagination. You thought he would like soft ballad songs, but you found that he liked all kinds of music. You bowed once again once you got off the bus and ran to your class again. You turned your room upside down that night but still didn't find your earphones. You reluctantly received his earphones once again the next morning. After that, you two have been sharing his earphones during the bus trip for the entire week. During that time, you talked to him a few times. At first it was just exchanging names and basic information like his class and yours, but mostly you kept your comments mainly about his songs selection. You would mention some of your favorite songs as well, but nothing else. That day, you were about to run again to your class after bowing to him when he stopped you for the first time.

"Wait!" he grabbed your wrist as you turned away and let it go immediately when you saw him with puzzled look. You were sure he was blushing for a bit there. "If you don't mind and if you are free, would you like to go for ice cream or something this weekend with me?"