Chapter 3: Kims to the rescue

November 2054

Jin was sitting in the living room. He had three days of leave after 4 days of 24-hour duty in hospital.

It was the middle of the night and he was putting printed photos into the album. He was leaving short notes on the back and dates. It was something that was relaxing him after hard work and constant watching tragedies in the hospital. Seeing his family and friends happily spending time together, calmed him down.

He couldn't sleep either way after a few days of a changed schedule during which he slept when he could.

He sipped his tea and turned on the volume of tv, when on the news a replay of last days events started to be shown. He knew they would show Namjoon.

He sighed.

Things weren't going smoothly as they thought they would. Society was getting more distrustful towards interdependants year after year. The funfair event was just one of the thousands of incidents that was portrayed by half of the population as something Interdependents could prevent.

If somewhere in the world a military or humanitarian conflict was taking place the first question media were asking was: why Interdependants couldn't prevent it?

If a new disease was discovered - Why won't they deal with it?

Cancer? - Are they dying like normal people? If not, couldn't they stop it a long time ago?

They were shown as a cure to everything... And at the same time as a cause of everything bad.

Namjoon - a young, respectful University professor - who was known for his studies about world history (which was twisted as well by media as a "Eadar-eisimeileach' history) was dragged by ICI - International Council of Interdependents - to play a role in creating a peaceful image of Eadar-eisimeileach. To explain, to teach how it really is.

Minji being a part of MOI - Military Organization of Interdependents - was having a hard time too. They were trying to prevent a crisis that could occur if the moods in society wouldn't calm down. Her father was a respectful member of MOI even if he wasn't actively participating in politics currently.

Namjoon flew to New York last week and Taehyung was with his grandparents till yesterday. He was peacefully sleeping in his bed right now. Jin was praying that it would stay like this. That his son will sleep peacefully till the rest of his life. It was one of the reasons Namjoon agreed to be dragged into a political swamp. To do anything he could for their son's future.

Jin knew his husband was currently in the air, flying home, but he saw him on the screen in a black suit and glasses, in front of the United Nations guests. 

'I'm standing here today in front of you, simply as Kim Namjoon

'I'm standing here today in front of you, simply as Kim Namjoon. You see me as an Interdependent. And I am one. But does this define me? No. It doesn't define even a bit of me as a person. I am a father. I am a husband. I am a teacher. I'm struggling to fulfill all of these roles the best way I can. And it is a real challenge. I'm struggling to explain to my son how the cosmos works. I'm struggling to comfort my husband when he comes back from hospital exhausted and depressed after seeing sick children, as any other doctor would. I'm struggling trying to decipher my students' handwriting... because honestly sometimes it's absolutely unreadable...'