Chapter 44: Rights and Wrongs

Seoul, January 2069

Namjoon was sitting in Yoongguk's office, reading through papers.

Yoongguk was looking through the window with a dark, thoughtful face.

Namjoon took off the glasses and sighed heavily.

'Have you read it?'

'Yes.' The answer was short and harsh.

'Is it the original document?'

'These are the laws currently in use in the Republic of Daegu. Signed by the President and National Security Council...'

'As I am aware after the proclamation and ending of war the State of Emergency has been declared right away. It's normal. The ending of war doesn't guarantee immediate safety and order.'

'Following your thoughts... No. They did not abolish the State of Emergency till now.'

Namjoon rubbed his eyes tiredly.

'It's really shady and smelling bad Yongguk...'

'I know.'

'According to this law during the State of Emergancy or Martial Law, all Interdependants over 17 are subject to oversight by the National Security Council. And the Council's main force is the military...'

'Simple people are not aware that even now they are part of the Army of the Republic.'

'They are giving them simple tasks. Restoring the country, helping it functioning properly... but if anything would happen.' Namjoon snapped his fingers. 'They are going to fight like that. With the ones they told them...'

'If the citizens will get used to this peace... they will fight either way to keep it. Look at all of it... It looks like heaven now... Wouldn't you fight for it?'

Namjoon nodded and frowned when something Jungkook and Taehyung were repeating echoed in his head.

'They don't have diverse bonded soulmates and single Interdependants...' he looked through the papers again. 

Yongguk turned to him.

'Isn't it obvious? There is no use in an army from Interdependants who can't use their powers.'

Namjoon chuckled bitterly.

'Yeah. For us it is. Because we had never encountered something like that in our history. But in fact, they can use both of them. Find a willing Holder. And find a Sealer who will agree or who will be forced and you have the next unit with power...'

Yongguk's eyes widened.

'No. That's Taboo! That's the profanity of all the Interdependants stands for!'

'They already used it during the war...' Namjoon looked at him hard.

'The war! They were in danger!'

'Look at this...' Namjoon pointed at something in the papers. 'The Interdependants who lost their soulmates are under care of the Ministry of Health that guarantee the necessary safety and care. And guess what? The Ministry of Health is managed by the National Security Council during the State of Emergency. It means they can even use soulmates during their separation syndrome using the anger and grief of Holders or despair and numbness of Sealers!'

Yongguk sat heavily on the chair.

'This actually looks good. The whole constitution and laws practically don't hurt Interdependants or non-Interdependants. They both are punished and protected equally if they go against any of those laws. Well except where the non-Interdependants would be proven to work against the country or kill or hurt severely one of Interdependants. They are immidiately exiled from the Republic and all their belongings are confiscated. In the reverse case an Interdependent is sentenced to lifelong jail. They are not going to exile Interdependants... They also connect soulmates because they have the database of the marks - which is strange - but not really hurtful. But when you switch to one of the Emergency States the National Security Council and the Army of the Republic suddenly have enormous power.'