Chapter 34 - The Monster

˗ˏˋChoosing The Villainess As My Mother ࿐ྂ

»»🦋»»

Ilarion Bosworth (POV)

"Is this... where the little lady went?" I mumbled to myself, confused.

I'd been tracking her small footprints, never expecting to find a hole in the mansion's wall at the back.

My lady is tricky, but I never thought she could wander so far. I thought she was still close, but...

But she seems to have gone much farther than I thought, away from the capital and the villa, using only her two little legs.

"What's this place?" I asked aloud, stopping to look around.

As I walked through the abandoned town, noticing bloodstains and a skull hanging in front of a house, questions swirled in my mind.

"Why did the lady come to this place?" I wondered aloud, pondering her purpose.

No, what could be the lady's reason for coming here?

From where I stood, I could even see the Silver Peak Mountain, adding to the mystery.

Following the little lady's footprints, I stumbled upon a lifeless body on the ground. Kneeling down, I wore gloves before touching the fresh blood and the motionless form.

"The body hasn't decayed yet, and the blood is still fresh," I observed to myself, a sense of unease creeping over me. I then gathered the remains and set them alight.

"Ephraim," I called out, prompting something from my shadow to emerge from its hiding place.

"You called, master?" Ephraim responded.

"Expand the radar and search around. If you see anything unusual, alert me immediately," I instructed. Ephraim nodded and vanished into the darkness.

Ephraim has been by my side since I was young. Dark elves like us are blessed by the dark moon, skilled in navigating the shadows. When night falls, we reign over the darkness, hunting our prey.

But tonight, I'm not hunting. I'm searching for the lady, determined to bring her back home as it's already late. I just hope nothing bad has happened to her.

"This place..." I murmured to myself, gazing at the surrounding houses.

"Something must have happened here, but why don't I recognize this place?" I mused aloud.

"Master..." Ephraim's voice interrupted my thoughts as he appeared before me.

"Find anything?" I asked, eager for any clue.

"I found a cloak lying on the ground. It smelled of blood and had the lady's scent on it," Ephraim reported. My eyebrows furrowed as I took the cloak, checking if it belonged to the lady.

"Master... are you going to use your ability again?" Ephraim asked, noticing my hesitation.

"It's been a while since you used it," Ephraim added, prompting me to consider his words.

I'm Ilarion Bosworth, a dark elf blessed by the moon. I'm really strong, fast, and tough, and I can move and react quickly.

But what makes me special among my fellow dark elves, even my sister, is my rare ability to see the memories of things I touch. I can control it, choosing which memories I want to see, whether they're from living things or objects.

One of my best abilities is controlling darkness. I can make everything around me dark, so no one can see me. It's handy for dealing with people who bother me, like humans and other races.

"Master?" Ephraim's voice pulled me from my thoughts.

"The lady... she's safe," I reassured him, as I burned the cloak and the lifeless body I found.

"Master... I sense a creature approaching. It's 9 kilometers away," Ephraim warned, prompting me to scan the horizon and swiftly conceal myself in darkness.

(I have a hunch that the creature the little lady saw is headed this way.)

(Should I deal with the creature too? It must have frightened my lady with its appearance.)

"Master, it's getting closer," Ephraim warned as I perched in the tree, bow in hand, waiting for the creature.

"Be careful, Master. This creature is dangerous," Ephraim cautioned.

"I can feel its dark energy, and there are many trapped souls with it," he added, his worry evident.

"How far is it now?" I asked, preparing to aim.

"It's only 4 kilometers away, to the west," Ephraim replied.

"Master-" Ephraim started, but I cut him off.

"What?!" I demanded, ready for whatever came our way.

"Don't let the creature's tentacles touch you, Master. They can steal your soul in just ten seconds," Ephraim warned, his expression grave.

(Ten seconds and my soul would be gone from my body?)

(Interesting.)

I couldn't help but smile at Ephraim's words.

"Master, don't try to fight it up close. It's best to attack from a distance, especially since it can create illusions," Ephraim advised urgently.

"Now you're just tempting me to test its abilities," I replied with a grin as I made my bow disappear and descended from the tree.

"Master, please listen to me! Don't underestimate this creature's abilities!" Ephraim pleaded, but it was too late-the creature had finally arrived.

"I'm not underestimating it. I just want to test my abilities against this intriguing creature. Isn't that a thrilling challenge?" I reasoned, observing the creature as it roamed, unaware of my presence hidden in the darkness.

"It's still too risky, Master! Please, you could be seriously hurt if that monster gets hold of you," Ephraim insisted urgently.

"Even worse, your soul could be trapped inside it, preventing you from finding peace in the afterlife," Ephraim warned, his concern evident.

"That doesn't sound so bad," I remarked with a smile.

"Master! Are you really going to confront this creature directly?! This is a terrible idea! I know how strong you are, but please, listen to me..." Ephraim pleaded, his voice tinged with desperation.

"I've defeated plenty of powerful foes, but if this creature could end me in a second, I'd welcome it," I said, a smile playing on my lips.

"Master... please," Ephraim pleaded earnestly, but I paid him no mind as I revealed myself behind the creature.
.
.
.
.🦋