Chapter 40 - The Connection

˗ˏˋChoosing The Villainess As My Mother ࿐ྂ

»»🦋»»

Althea Melody (POV)

"Feel better now? We've just made a contract," he says, and I glance at my left wrist, noticing the symbol there, then look up at the mighty dragon before me.

"Hmm... yeah, I kinda like the symbol," I reply, and he smiles back at me.

"So, anything you wish to have from me?" he asks, and I raise an eyebrow.

"Like what?" I inquire.

"It could be anything you like, but it should only exist in this realm," he explains, and I ponder for a moment.

"Ah, I've always wanted to see a unicorn," I say with a smile, and he stares at me for a moment.

(It should exist in here, right?)

"...You want to see a unicorn?" he repeats, disbelief evident in his voice, as I nod enthusiastically with a smile.

(I would be the happiest person if I could really see a beautiful unicorn! It's one of my fantasies!)

"Of all the things you could wish for... But you wished to see a unicorn?" he continues, incredulous, as I nod again.

"Yes! A unicorn!" I exclaim, my smile widening, while he stares at me in bewilderment.

"Let me get this straight... You want a unicorn?" he asks once more.

"Yes! How many times do I have to say it? I really, really, really want to see a unicorn, so bad," I respond eagerly, and he sighs in front of me.

"I don't want to disappoint you, but they don't exist anymore in this realm," he says gently, and I feel a pang of sadness.

(Anymore? Does that mean unicorns once existed here?)

"Did... they go extinct?" I ask, and he nods solemnly, his expression serious.

"Aww~ಠωಠ I really wanted to see one though," I say, adopting a sad expression, feeling genuinely disappointed. I had always dreamed of encountering a real-life unicorn.

"A dragon is much better than a unicorn," he offers, attempting to console me, and I look at him.

(Dragons are indeed amazing, but I still love unicorns.)

(I even asked my mom to buy me pajamas with printed unicorns.)

"But a unicorn is what I want to see... I really wish to see one in real life though," I express, while Keilbuss, the mighty dragon, continues to stare at me.

"And I've already told you, they don't exist anymore," he reminds me, but I manage to put on a sad smile.

"Well, it doesn't matter. I was hoping they still existed, but I guess not," I concede.

"Hmm, we don't have unicorns with magical horns, but in this realm, we do have horses with wings," he offers.

"Really?! A horse with wings that can fly? I want to ri—" I start to say, but then I remember my fear of heights and flying, the sensation of my feet not touching the ground.

"N-Never mind, I should just appreciate having a mighty dragon as my friend," I quickly correct myself with a smile, though Keilbuss still wears a serious expression.

"Hmm, would you like to connect with the people you care about in this realm?" he asks, and I stare at him in confusion.

"Connect?" I repeat, and he nods with a smile.