Chapter 59 - The Dark Elves

˗ˏˋChoosing The Villainess As My Mother ࿐ྂ

»»🦋»»

Archduke Willard waited for Lucas's response, and eventually, Lucas crossed his arms, meeting his master's eyes.

"Yeah, she's staying with a noble lady named Lady Cynthia, who's the daughter of Duke Luk Van De Roos," Lucas confirmed, his arms still folded.

"The lady with white hair and purple eyes?" Archduke Willard asked, and Lucas nodded.

"Is my daughter okay there?" Archduke Willard asked, sounding both curious and concerned.

"She's okay. It seems like the people there really care about her, especially the butler in that place. He seems... protective," Lucas said, looking annoyed.

"That butler gives me the creeps! Whenever he sees me, he gives me this scary look, like he's about to bury me alive! What was his name again?" Lucas says.

"And look what he did to my hair! He messed up my ocean blue hair!" Lucas added, sounding like a child throwing a fit.

"He didn't even give me a chance to strike back! That butler is way too quick!" Lucas complained, while Vera smiled broadly.

"I had to retreat from our duel! That butler does seem like he's planning for my funeral! I never realized how powerful dark elves can be," Lucas admitted, as Archduke Willard sighed.

"It's clear you need to improve your skills. You should learn from someone right here—she's a dark elf too," Archduke Willard suggested, gesturing towards Vera, who smiled at Lucas.

"Wait, she's a dark elf!?" Lucas exclaimed, looking so surprised.

"Yes, she is," Archduke Willard confirmed.

"What!? How didn't I notice!? I could tell from afar that the annoying butler was an elf, but why didn't I realize the same about her?" Lucas asked looking at his master.

"Why don't you ask her?" Archduke Willard suggested, pointing to Vera.

"I wear a necklace called a 'suppressor.' It's an accessory that hides our identity and prevents us from being recognized by others... like you," Vera explained.

"And that butler you're referring to, he's my younger brother. His name is Ilarion Bosworth," Vera said with a smile.

"Lucas, when did I ever tell you to retreat from a duel?" Archduke Willard asked, but Lucas just frowned and looked away.

"What was I supposed to do, master? That guy is too fast! I couldn't even get a proper hit in! He kept messing with me and mocking me! He's the worst!" Lucas complained, as Vera smiled.

"It's in our nature to be agile and have quick reflexes. And don't forget, dark elves are particularly enhanced in speed," Vera explained.

"And we're especially dangerous in the dark," Vera added.

"Dark elves hunts at night. It's our specialty. Quite a few of them are excellent at carrying out assassination missions," Archduke Willard chimed in.

"Didn't you read the book I gave you three weeks ago?" Archduke Willard asked, causing Lucas to immediately look away.

"Ahem, a-anyway... why are dark elves so dangerous at night?" Lucas asked.

"We love hunting our prey, especially... people who have a red line under their name  in our journal," Vera explained.

"What?" Lucas's brows furrowed in confusion.

"Their specialty lies in hiding their presence in the darkness... that's why you should be cautious when facing a dark elf," Archduke Willard added.

"That's right. You should listen his imperial highness's warning. I'm a dark elf, so you should take it seriously," Vera affirmed.

"And about my brother, whom you seem to dislike... you should be extra careful around him. He might have been holding back since..." Vera trailed off, smiling.

"Outspeeding you is just one of his tactics when he wants to harm someone. So be cautious; you never know when he might strike with his knife at lightning speed," Vera warned.

"What!? Why would he try to harm me? I didn't do anything! I just wanted to be friends with that little girl," Lucas exclaimed.

"Ilarion is one of the best dark elves when it comes to assassination jobs. He's fought on our side and emerged victorious in battles four times," Archduke Willard revealed.

"What the Fu—" Lucas began, but was interrupted by Archduke Willard.

 "Language." Archduke Willard says, staring at Lucas.

"I think you should try to get on his good side. You could learn a lot from Ilarion; he's achieved much more in fighting and eliminating than you," Archduke Willard suggested.

"Master, don't compare me to that assassin. I'm a mage, not an assassin," Lucas objected.

"You'll be able to improve your skills and your abilities, just like the person you dislike the most. Your inability to counter his attacks just shows you need more improvement in your weakest areas," Archduke Willard advised.

"I don't want to learn from that man," Lucas grumbled.

"Suit yourself, but you won't stand a chance in a duel against him," Archduke Willard warned.

"Is he really that skilled?" Lucas asked, turning to Vera, who smiled.

"He might sneak into your room tonight and assassinate you while you sleep," Vera said with a smile, causing Lucas to frown.

.
.
.
.🦋