Chapter 64 - Late For Lessons

˗ˏˋChoosing The Villainess As My Mother ࿐ྂ

»»🦋»»

Althea Melody (POV)

"Um... do you want to play with me for a while? I have a thirty-minute break before I have to go back for my lessons," I suggested with a smile, standing outside their mansion's fence as she held her ginger fluffy cat named Finn.

"Ah, I'm not sure about that..." she hesitated.

"What don't you know about? Don't your parents let you play with other kids?" I asked, feeling a pang of sadness.

"Oh, it's not that. I've just never talked to anyone my age before or been invited to play," she explained, her tone melancholic.

"Well, you have me now," I said with a smile.

"Let's play together. I want you to be my friend. Will we become friends?" I extended my hand, which she hesitantly took, but eventually, she did.

"I would love to have a friend," she admitted, returning my smile.

"What should I call you hen?" I asked, curious.

"How about... Avie? You can just call me by my first name," she suggested, her smile widening.

"Then you can also call me by my first name, Althea," I responded cheerfully.

"Then I shall call you Althea, my friend," Avie declared, her eyes brightening.

"Um... what should we do now?" Avie asked, looking around uncertainly.

"Are you allowed to come outside and play with me? We can play hide and seek or tag," I suggested eagerly.

"Oh, but I have to ask for permission first if I'm going to play with you," Avie replied, nodding her head.

"Hmm, then... should we just play rock, paper, and scissors?" I proposed, to which she smiled in agreement.

"How do you play it?" Avie asked, intrigued.

"It's simple. You either choose paper, rock, or scissors," I explained, earning a nod from her.

"For example, if I choose paper and you choose scissors, that means I lose. But if I choose paper and you choose rock, I win," I explained with a grin.

"That sounds complicated, but I like it. Let's do that," Avie agreed, and so we played rock, paper, and scissors for what felt like twenty-five minutes, giggling and making funny faces whenever one of us lost.

"Ha-ha-ha, this is so fun! I'm loving this game," Avie exclaimed, though she seemed to be losing to me more often than not.

"My lady..." a voice interrupted behind Avie.

"Oh, nanny!" Avie exclaimed, running towards her nanny, and I politely bowed.

"Good day. My name is Althea, I am Avie's new friend," I introduced myself with a smile, but the nanny simply stared at me before turning her attention to Avie.

(Well, that was awkward.)

(She just ignored me.)

(That's fine.)

"Nanny, meet my new friend," Avie introduced me, and I smiled at the nanny, who still didn't acknowledge me.

(Why do I feel sad about that??)

(Oh, forget it.)

"My lady, we've been looking for you. The madame and the master were also looking for you," the nanny informed Avie, causing her to turn her head towards me and smile.

"Well, I guess we need to take a rest from playing today. I hope we can play like this again tomorrow," Avie suggested, and I smiled in agreement.

"Then, if I have free time, I will surely ask Avie if she could play with me," I promised with a smile.

"I sure do look forward to that. Until then, let's meet again tomorrow if you have free time," Avie said, and I nodded before she disappeared from my sight.

It wasn't until then that I realized how late it was.

"Oh, god... My lessons!" I exclaimed.

(I'm late! I'm very late!!)

(Oh, send help.)

As I rushed through the hallways, I crossed paths with my new teacher talking to my beloved lady and Mr. Bosworth, who was by Mother's side.

(Not good.)

(Not good at all.)

"Ah, the lady is here," Mr. Bosworth says, and I wished they would just pretend not to see me.

(I'm doomed.)

"Darling. Get over here," Mother Cynthia commanded, and I reluctantly turned to face them, plastering on a wide smile.

"O-Oh... hello there! I... I didn't see you all there, haha... I'm doomed," I whispered under my breath.

"Where were you? The maids were looking for you all over the mansion, but they couldn't even sense your presence," Mother Cynthia scolded, and I looked to Mr. Bosworth for support, but his stern expression made it clear he wasn't going to intervene.

(Ah, help...)

"I-I was..." I stammered.

"Wasn't a thirty-minute break enough?" My new teacher interjected, and I glanced at her nervously.

"Ah, please don't be angry at me. I... I'm sorry. I made new friends across the mansion... I'm sorry," I apologized, clinging to Mother's leg for comfort.

"Oh dear goodness, no one even accompanied you outside!?" Mother Cynthia exclaimed.

"Oh, that's fine, Mother. I didn't want to bother anyone—" I began, but Mother cut me off.

"That's not it! What if someone tries to kidnap you!? And sell you at an illegal auction!? What would you do? Nothing, right?! Next time, ask someone to accompany you!" Mother Cynthia scolded.

"And please, no running late to my class," my new teacher added sternly, and I could only nod in response.

(Why can't I even argue back with these adults??)

"It's already so late. We shall continue our lesson tomorrow," my new teacher declared, and I heard a soft lullaby-like sound, causing me to glance in another direction.

(What was that?)

(Where did that sound come from?)

"Yes, that would be better. Please do come again," Mother Cynthia agreed, and I turned back to my teacher, who continued to stare at me with no expression on her face.

"Your grace, the carriage has arrived outside," the maid informed Mother Cynthia.

"I shall take my leave first then, your grace," My new teacher said, and I smiled at her, though she returned my gaze with no expression.

(Why does she keep staring at me like that??)

(Well, it doesn't seem like she has any impure intentions anyway.)

.
.
.
.🦋