Chapter 15 - Unintended Consequences

˗ˏˋChoosing The Villainess As My Mother ࿐ྂ

»»🦋»»

AN: I'll be starting to call Fern as 'Althea' in this story after she will be adopted for real by Lady Cynthia, I'm just reminding you all so that you won't get confused of who is Little Althea and Fern, they're the same person.

-----------

Althea Melody 'Fern' (POV)

I'm just sitting here by the window, eating the cookies that I stole from the kitchen.

I might be hurt right now; I might have burned my skin, or the grand duke might have slapped me across the face.

But hey, it was totally worth it!

I promised everyone that they would experience a butterfly effect, didn't I?

Well? That's what I intended!

This is what I had planned to do before Lady Cynthia arrived home in a furious state.

Additionally, I anticipated the grand duke, with his scowling expression, to storm into this villa.

I genuinely made an effort to enrage him so that he would harm me.

Even though it was a bad idea to put myself in danger after only two days of getting to know everyone, I went ahead and did it nevertheless.

Even though the grand duke claims he wants me to vanish, I'm telling him things like, "I won't leave Lady Cynthia because she's my mother."

Lady Cynthia could have intervened to stop the grand duke so that he couldn't harm me, but she refrained because she was curious about my reaction and behavior in front of the grand duke.

She didn't stop the Duke from raising his hand to slap me across the face, which makes me think that she was trying to see how devoted I was to her.

Since Lady Cynthia is suspicious of everyone in this room due to her broken heart and lack of trust, she wanted to make sure that my words and feelings weren't a lie.

And after accepting the damage-well, it was worth it-I woke up to find a large group of people surrounding me-almost as if they were there for my funeral, hehe.

And hey, I got what I wanted! Lady Cynthia will be beyond the grand duke's reach!

However, I completely forgot to account for the fact that severing the grand duke and lady Cynthia's connection was not in my original plan!

Mother Cynthia made the decision! She decided to break off her relationship with the grand duke.

This was not intended to be this way! All I wanted was for my mother Cynthia to be safe from the grand duke's grasp-not like this at all.

However, since things have already happened, let's just accept it. Still, I'm incredibly foolish; the next time, I should have given my plan much more thought.

Regarding the grand duke, he remains a piece in my chess game. I absolutely require the grand duke for my strategy to succeed.

I was just too foolish to cut the Grand Duke and Lady Cynthia's connection; it wasn't really my plan.

After all, what does a fourteen-year-old get? Ahh! I'm not really tactical in situations like this. The grand duke is still necessary, I still need to use him, for my lady.

But I'll just have to come up with another plan for this.

I turned to face the source of the voice and saw Lady Cynthia, Madeline, the head maid, and Mr. Bosworth. "Dear? Why are you out here???"

(And I will soon make my way to Mr. Bosworth; I completely forgot about him.)

I joyfully ran to her and gave her a leg hug, saying, "Mother."

I smile and turn to face my mother Cynthia, and Madeline says, "Aw~ our little miss is just really so adorable at all!"

Mother Cynthia says, "You should be on your bed right now." And I simply smiled back at her.

She put her hand on my head and I said, "Oh, but I can't sleep yet, mother."

Mother Cynthia asks, "Is that why you went to the kitchen to steal a jar of cookies in the middle of the night?" And I can't stop grinning.

The head maid asks, "So you were the thief in the kitchen that has stolen the cookies in the kitchen?" And then I turn my head away.

(It's inevitable; I was hungry)

"Okay, sweetie, it's bedtime now," Mother Cynthia announces, gently taking the cookie jar from me, while Mr. Bosworth maintains his stern expression.

(He still has that icy demeanor.)

(How can I win him over?)

(Pleasing Mr. Bosworth is like cracking a tough code.)

"Time for bed," Mother Cynthia insists, reaching for my hand. Surprisingly, I also grab Mr. Bosworth's hand, causing a subtle reaction on his face. Yet, without a word, he complies, gripping my hand in return.

As we reached my room, Mr. Bosworth merely raised an eyebrow, seemingly indifferent to my attempts.

(I must step up my game before the female lead makes an entrance.)

Once in my bedroom, Mother Cynthia tenderly covered me with a blanket, her smile radiating warmth.

"Sweet dreams, dear," she wished, to which I returned a smile.

"Goodnight, Mom. May you also have a peaceful sleep," I replied. After everyone left my room, I closed my eyes, hoping for a peaceful night.
.
.
.
.
Despite the passing thirty minutes, I couldn't sleep at all due to the persistent discomfort caused by the burns on my skin.

( God, the itch is unbearable.)

Driven by the intense itch and pain, I find myself sitting upright on the bed. My fingers reach for my burned face, the slightest touch causing a sharp ache.

"Ugh, I need to scratch it... it's so irritating," I mutter, repeatedly touching my left cheek.

(The pain and itch from the burn on my face are absolutely tormenting!)

*sobs*

I said, "It hurts, I miss my mom," and I couldn't help but also miss my father, my older sister, and my real mother from my childhood.

My face is burning so badly that I'm crying uncontrollably right now. It's also extremely itchy.

I also miss my incredibly kind older sister.

I miss everyone, including my friends.

I was crying as I said, "Mommy... *sobs* my face is so itchy and it hurts." Suddenly, I felt a hand on my head, and when I looked up, it was just Mr. Bosworth.

.
.
.🦋