Chapter 56 - Breaking The Chains

˗ˏˋChoosing The Villainess As My Mother ࿐ྂ

»»🦋»»

Cynthia's (POV)

As soon as I arrived at the palace, the first thing I saw was Prince Lucien, surrounded by four noble ladies. Just looking at him, it seemed like he was enjoying himself with all these women around him.

(When will he ever change?)

(Well, I suppose he would change if THAT girl appeared, but this man is still the same... always.)

"Ah, Thia! You've finally arrived," he exclaimed, and I just stared at him.

(Who does he think he is, calling me by my nickname?)

(I mean, sure, I used to call him by his name many times, but that was all in the past... I've moved on.)

"Greetings," I said coldly, maintaining a neutral expression as I stared at him.

"How have you been doing these days?" Prince Lucien asked with a smile, but I simply took a deep breath in and out.

"Your highness, did you really call me here just to ask me that? You could have simply written it in a letter," I replied coldly, and he continued to smile.

"Ah, is it true that you have a daughter, Thia?" Prince Lucien asked, still smiling at me.

(Oh, I see how it is, he's avoiding it.)

"An adopted daughter, your highness. And yes, I do have a daughter," I replied, causing the other ladies to gasp and pretended to be shocked.

"Oh my~" one of the noble ladies exclaimed.

"Thia, do you even realize how the nobles would react if they discovered you have a daughter without being married?" Prince Lucien asked, his irritating smile still plastered on his face.

"And so? What's your point, your highness?" I retorted coldly, maintaining direct eye contact.

"You must understand that you already have a tainted reputation in society, and if this were to be revealed, it would only worsen," Prince Lucien explained.

(Really? If he's so concerned about my reputation already being tarnished, why would he bring it up in front of these other noble ladies?!)

(Is he daft? Or just plain foolish??)

"Your highness, I've endured far worse than their meaningless words and opinions," I replied sharply.

"Criticizing me won't bring me down. I'd rather hear them talking behind my back than converse with someone who pretends to be nice," I said, a smile playing on my lips, which caused Prince Lucien to frown.

"You can't always be like this, Thia. If you want to reclaim your reputation, you have no choice but to win their favor again," Prince Lucien insisted, but I smiled in response.

"Oh, your highness, if only you knew," I replied, wearing an odd smile.

"I've tried that countless times, but no matter how hard I've tried to win anyone over, it's been futile. I'm utterly exhausted by it all," I continued, still smiling.

"I've long grown weary of maintaining a facade of grace. If only his highness knew...I'm so tired of wearing a pretty smile when all I want is peace," I confessed, still smiling.

"In short, I couldn't care less about their opinions of me, your highness. If they see me as that type of woman, then I'll gladly become THAT woman," I concluded, the smile on my face remaining.

"I mean, isn't that what everyone wants me to become, your highness? The villain in their eyes, the antagonist in their story? Don't you agree?" I asked, smiling, while he remained silent.