Shining Lights

(I hope you're ready for this. I'm not, not at all. And I must warn you, this is an intense chapter and their is a lot of blood and a some gore.)

Miller:*Com* Boss, Major, we have an emergency. There's been another of the vocal cord parasites on the base. Several men are dead. It started in the Laboratory on the Quarantine Platform, where the radiation leak occurred. I'd only just deployed the Security Team... I've sent in a rescue team to help, but they haven't returned. Boss, Major, I need you on this. Come back to Mother Base ASAP."

--

The helicopter is landing on Mother Base and Alarms can be heard.

Mother Base, Seychelles Waters
Command Platform

Miller:*Com* "Here we go again... There's been another outbreak in the Laboratory - the Quarantine Platform. We sent a team to investigate and recover the survivors, but they haven't returned."

Snake gets up and opens the helicopter door. Miller and a few soldiers are standing nearby.

Miller:"Nothing on the radio, either."

Snake and Wolf hop out of the helicopter. Snake and Wolf walk over to Miller and the soldiers nearby stand at ready.

Miller:"We've got a backup team ready to go. Just give the order..."

Snake interrupts.

Snake:"We'll go." *He nods his head towards Wolf.* "Alone."

Snake turns around and Miller grabs his arm; his crutch falls.

Miller:"Boss, what are you-- There's no need for that."

Wolf bends down and picks up the crutch.

Snake:"We can't afford to lose anyone else."

Miller:"We have no idea what's going on in there!"

Wolf:"Exactly."

Snake:"Anyone still alive is at their breaking point. Last thing we need is another unit storming in."

Wolf gives Miller's crutch back to him.

Wolf:"No telling how they'd react."

Miller thinks for a few seconds then looks at the two.

Miller:"Fine. First off, check how much the infection has spread. Rescue comes next - after we know the situation. When you're ready to move. Just use the iDroid."

Miller limps away and the soldiers follow him. Wolf takes in a deep breath then after a few seconds she releases it.

She and Snake get back in the chopper and it flies off.

--------

Snake and Wolf are in the Chopper. Wolf is sitting under the gun rack with her eye closed and a phantom cigar in her mouth.

Mother Base, Seychelles Waters
Aerial Command Center

Miller:*Com* "We have no idea why the parasite has shown up again. I thought we took care of it. We need more information. Find out what's going on, Boss. Major."

----

Episode 43

SHINING LIGHTS, EVEN IN DEATH