Chapter Thirty-Seven

The following morning started off with a quiet, intimate breakfast in the dining room. The breakfast was soon followed by a history lesson. Aubrey paced the living room while going into the history of BDSM. "A lot of the toys and gadgets you see are new, but the BDSM lifestyle is nowhere near new. Some of the oldest texts that exist in the world have documented the lives of people who practiced a BDSM lifestyle. I'm not talking just as far back as the medieval times. I'm talking as far back as the B.C. years. Granted, 'BDSM' isn't what they called it back then. There are also drawings that depict adults spanking each other, flogging, the whole nine." He grabbed a book from the top of the stack he'd placed on the coffee table and cracked it open.

    Destiny, who'd been given permission to wear clothes, was positioned before him on her knees.

    He angled the book so that she could see some of the pictures inside. "These are books that I want you to study, when you're not busy serving me. Learning the history of the lifestyle is important, and something I should have stressed to you a long time ago."

    The sound of a door opening reached their ears, and moments later Carlos slowly poked his head around the corner of the living room entryway.

    Aubrey froze.

    "I just wanted to make sure everyone had their clothes on," Carlos quipped, stepping into the room. "With you two, I never know what the hell I'm going to walk in on."

    "You're just now getting in?" Aubrey questioned, setting the book aside. "And was my front door unlocked?"

    "I made some friends last night," Carlos said with a shrug. "But yeah - the front door was unlocked. You might want to be careful with that. These are dangerous times we're living in, you know?" His eyes shifted to Destiny, who was still kneeling on the floor. "So I did interrupt something."

    Aubrey cleared his throat and told Destiny, "You can stand."

    Carlos grinned from ear to ear. "Kinky. Don't be so quick to stand, Destiny. I want in."

    Aubrey helped Destiny up. "Did you find a condo you like?"

    "I'm not so sure I want to leave this party," Carlos joked, looking between the two of them. "If you guys let me stick around, you won't even know I'm here. Unless...unless you want me to make sure you know I'm here. Voyeurism is a part of all of this, right? I can just watch. I'll be as quiet as a mouse, you won't hear shit from me."

    Destiny glanced up at Aubrey.

    Aubrey did a great job of masking his annoyance. "He's your friend. You can speak to him." He turned away from them and gathered the books up in his hands. "I'm going to take these upstairs."

    Carlos watched him leave the room. "I hate it when you go, but I love watching you leave."

    Destiny stalked over to him and pinched his arm.

    "Ow!" Carlos cried out, vigorously rubbing the spot she'd pinched. "That's how the phrase goes, right? American sayings are so confusing sometimes."

    "Will you stop flirting with him and calm down?" she hissed at him.

    "I walk in on a scene where you two are practically about to fuck each other senseless, kinky-style, and I'm the one who needs to calm down?" Carlos demanded, still rubbing his arm. He took a step back from her, taking in her tank top and shorts. "What did I walk in on, by the way?"

    She pursed her lips.

    "You're not in a contract anymore, which means you can spill."

    "You didn't walk in on anything," she muttered. "He was just teaching me the history of..."

    "...Of the kinky shit you're both into?" Carlos asked, craning his neck and looking towards the staircase outside of the living room entrance. "So you're a couple of freaks talking about the history of other freaks? Okay, I'm into it."

    She shook her head, laughing.

    He snapped his fingers. "Oh, right. The training shit. That's what training is? Actually learning shit while wearing clothes? Fuck that. If I wanted to take part in some boring shit like that, I would have stayed in college."

    Destiny rolled her eyes. "Actually, we had a great day yesterday. I learned more about him and the way he thinks, and...he opened up to me."

    "That's cute and all, but how many times did you open up to him?" Carlos asked, clapping his hands together and unfolding them to create an opening gesture. "Huh? Huh?"

    She abruptly walked away from him and went to stand by the patio doors.

    "What is the benefit of being your friend, if I can't hear the goods?" Carlos asked. "I'm supposed to be able to, like...live vicariously through you and shit. How can I do that when you don't tell me anything?"

    "You get too...excited and amped up for me to want to tell you anything," she told him. "And I have to be careful what I say. I'm in training, so if I do anything wrong..."

    "Then he'll put you over his knee and spank you like the bad little girl you are?" Carlos supplied, his eyes sparkling with glee.

    She shook her head.

    Carlos walked up to her and fell silent while peering out of the window.

    Destiny glanced up at him. "What are you thinking about?"

    "Nothing, really," he said, raising a hand to the glass window. "Just trying to figure out a magical way that you and I can switch bodies for a week so I can experience this shit with Aubrey for myself."

    She burst out laughing and shoved him. "Get the hell away from me."

    "What?" Carlos spread out his arms.

    Shaking her head, she left him standing in the living room.

    "What?" Carlos asked, to no one in particular, since he was standing in the room by himself. He raised his voice and shouted, "If you ask me, not allowing me to participate in this kinky shit you have going on is selfish as fuck! I should disown you as my friend."

    There was no response.

    "Selfish ass bitch," Carlos grumbled, pouting while folding his arms across his chest.