Chapter Fifty-One

"The more I think about it, the more that I come to realize I never even loved her." Aubrey sat with his back flat against the headboard. "I loved being around her. I loved how free-spirited she was, and often wished that I could be as free-spirited. I wished that I could take life a lot less seriously, the way she did. But...when it comes to true love, that's never what I felt for her. Realizing that, I wonder to myself why I allowed what she did to me to keep me from opening myself up to love."

    Destiny lay with her head in his lap, listening to him talk while he stroked her hair.

    "Then I realize that...the cold, unfeeling person that I became, and the loneliness that I had to go through was necessary. Because if I hadn't become that person and if I hadn't gone through that loneliness, I wouldn't have wound up in the bakery. I wouldn't have met you. I'd still be rapping somewhere, still caught up in superficial bullshit." He paused, as if considering his own words. "As much as I hate to admit it, what she did to me...it had to happen. It had to happen so that I could end up here. With you."

    "Hmm."

    "What are you thinking right now?"

    "I'm wondering why you still have boxer briefs on," she admitted without hesitation.

    He laughed and his hand stilled in her hair. "You aren't worried about our guests hearing?"

    "Been there, done that, could write the book on it," she said flippantly, sitting up. "You were the one who reminded me that you have a huge secret dungeon downstairs that is completely soundproof. Speaking of which, I've been wondering why you wouldn't have been thoughtful enough to use said soundproof room when my parents were here, but that's a conversation for another day."

    A glint twinkled in Aubrey's eye. "You don't really want to know the answer to that."

    She backed away from him. "And why wouldn't I?"

    "Because you'd find out just how much of a sicko I really am," he responded, reaching out and fingering one of her curls.

    She stared at him, seemingly not knowing what to say.

    "But if you'd like to break in the blue room a little bit before we shake it up and redecorate, I'm all for it. Come with me." He stood up and walked across the dark room, dark thoughts swirling around in his mind.

    She hopped up and followed him out into the hallway, walking on her tiptoes.

    He led the way down the hall and briefly hesitated in front of the door to the bedroom Rihanna had picked out for herself. A sliver of line shone beneath the crack under the door. Reggae music and the pungent smell of weed wafted out into the hall from her room. Aubrey glanced over his shoulder at Destiny before continuing to the staircase and walking down it.

    The blue room looked as impersonal and clinical as ever. It even felt a little chilly. Destiny wrapped her arms around herself as she followed him inside it.

    "Clothes off," he commanded as the motion-sensitive lights flickered on. "When your clothes are off, I want you on your knees in the middle of the bed. Hands on top of your thighs. Wait for me to return to you. All right?"

    She nodded.

   He paused for just a beat.

    "Yes, Sir," she responded.

    He left her in the room alone, closing the door behind him. Then he jogged up to the main floor, and from the main floor to the second floor, where again he stopped in front of Rihanna's room. Licking his lips, he rapped his knuckles against the door.