More Life: Chapter Seventeen

The moon brightened, emerging from the clouds and casting a beam of light onto the water. Aubrey wasn't in a rush to get out of the water. He turned his head to the side and he saw Destiny swimming beside him. Of course, it wasn't her. It was a memory of her, a memory where she posted up next to him and mimicked the serious expression on his face.

    "How can you look so serious and pensive when you're poolside?" she'd demanded to know.

    "I was deep in thought," he said defensively.

    "You're always deep in thought," she teased, splashing water up at him.

    "You say that like it's a bad thing."

    She shook her head and floated away from him. "Nope. It's one of the things I love most about you. The way your mind works, the amazing thoughts you've got flowing through there."

    "Hey, where are you going? Come back to me."

    She remained just out of reach for a few moments before drifting closer to him, the look in her eyes flirtatious. "Or else what, Sir? You're going to come in here and get me? Mr. I'd Rather Sit Poolside Than Actually Get In?"

    "I get in," he insisted, squinting off in the distance. 

    "Get in now," she urged.

    "Is that an order?" he asked, a thick brow lifting.

    "Don't start acting like you don't love it when I order you around," she said, splashing more water at him as she approached. She moved right up to the edge of the pool and rested her arms on the deck beside the pool. "There are some instructions coming to mind right now, that I could give you."

    His eyes combed over her, and he found himself smiling. He hadn't wanted to. The boundaries in their relationship was already a lot more fluid than he'd ever experienced before. "What would those instructions be?"

    "Come in and find out."

    He laughed and shook his head. "I'm fully clothed."

    "Did you need me to come out and assist you with removing your garments, Sir?" she asked, tilting her head in the cutest way.

    "I might need you to do that, baby girl, yes."

    The way she rose out of the pool, taking each step as if in slow motion...she could have been a literal goddess. Even the water didn't want to leave her, droplets clinging to her skin as long as they possibly could. Once she was out of the water, she squeezed the excess water from her hair with her eyes locked on his.

    All he could do was watch her. Look at her. Appreciate her. Wonder with all of his fuck-ups and all of the dirty shit he'd ever done to anyone else, how it could be possible he deserved to be with her. Was it a mistake in God's paperwork? Was she supposed to be with some other good guy who'd chosen the righteous path in life? Was she supposed to be with Brian? he couldn't help but wonder in that moment. Maybe she was never supposed to be with me. Maybe Brian is her true soulmate and I'm just here as a placeholder. My actions caused his death and I just get her by default.

    "Whatever you're thinking, stop it." The expression on her face said that she wasn't playing around anymore.

    Shaken by the thought he'd had more than once, he walked over to a patio table with a couple of folded towels placed on top. He grabbed the coral pink towel on top and carried it over to her. Instead of handing her the towel, he dutifully began to dry her off.