Chapter Ninety-Three

There was nothing like the feeling of air on your bare naked skin, nothing like the freedom of standing on a balcony wearing nothing more than what you were born into this world with.

    Destiny stood at the balcony railing peering down onto what Aubrey called his backyard, but what the average person would call a resort. Swimming pool, tennis courts, a ping pong table that was just there, basketball courts off into the distance, and what looked like a miniature hiking rock formation framing the pool. This was her life. She was marrying a man who owned this beyond beautiful property, a man who'd penned songs that people the world could relate to. It all felt so unreal, especially when she felt like she was still figuring herself out.

    More than anything, he's helping me figure myself out, she thought while peering out into the night. If it weren't for him and this crazy life that he leads, there could have been this entire side of myself that I never would have known, a side of myself that would have stayed locked away. Because only a man like him, and only him specifically, has the power to unleash this side to me. A man like Jordan couldn't have awoken this beast inside of me, and neither could Chad. Brian... She sighed sadly and leaned against the railing. With Brian, I don't know. Maybe I could have discovered some things about myself eventually with Brian. He had a beast of his own. But it felt like he was just finding out that side to him. He was always so sweet, so kind. Aubrey pushes the envelope with me. He pushes me to try things, pushes me to dig deep within myself, whereas Brian would have given me as much time in the world as I wanted to find myself, which would have resulted in me finding out certain things so much farther into the future. Which...isn't a bad thing, per se. Clasping her hands together, she ducked her head down, closed her eyes, and prayed that wherever Brian was, he was happy. At peace. The visions she'd had of him could easily be her imagination working overtime. She wished she could know for sure that he was okay.

    The wind whispered around her, lifting her hair off of her shoulders. Closing her eyes and smiling, she thought to herself, I could pretend that that's Brian too, responding to my desperate need to know that he's okay.

    As if in response, the wind picked up around her. She stood there and enjoyed the feeling of it, allowing it to comb its fingers through her hair and brush across the surface of her skin. Tilting her head back, she straightened her posture and smoothed both of her hands across her belly, then kept them there. It was one of those rare moments when you felt completely at one with nature...one of those moments when you felt that nature was completely one with you. Holding her belly, she looked up to the sky.

~~~~~~

    Aubrey remained in bed for a good twenty minutes. Somewhere around twenty-two and twenty-three minutes, he threw his legs over the side of the bed and stood up. Bare-chested and with the top of his pants unzipped, he strode around the bed and went to the open balcony door. Although unzipped, his pants hugged his hips as he drew the balcony curtains to the side.

    His eyes were greeted with undoubtedly the most beautiful sight he'd ever seen, his woman standing on the balcony with her head tilted up. Her face was bathed in moonlight, and her hands were cupping her stomach and the life growing within it. He felt his throat growing tighter as he watched her. In his attempt to remain as quiet as he possibly he could, at some point he started holding his breath. He didn't even realize it until he was nearly blue in the face.

    While standing out there with her, but not with her, he wondered what she was thinking. Was she thinking about just how drastically her life had changed over the past year and a half? Was she thinking about what it was going to be like, being married to him and raising children with him? Or was she thinking about something else, something that he wouldn't so easily be able to guess?