More Life: Chapter Twenty-Three

The video shoot went from smooth sailing to batshit crazy. Carlos was trying to get his mack on with a model who'd bartended in a past life, when the director started shouting a bunch of shit at Aubrey.   

    "H-hold on, baby," Carlos murmured, standing up straighter. He turned his head and looked towards Aubrey, who was looking towards...what?

    "Is it a language barrier?" the director was shrieking. "Is that what this is? I thought people on this island spoke English."

    "She's not from Turks," someone told him. "She's a model flown in from NYC."

    Carlos frowned and returned his attention to Aubrey. Why the hell was he staring like that? And was the model supposed to just be standing like that?

    A thick girl with a sari tied around her barely-there bikini jogged past the makeshift bar, adjusting her hair. "I'm so sorry, guys," she apologized just as Aubrey started approaching the woman on the beach. "Potty break. Is it time for me to hit my mark?"

    The director gawked at the thick woman approaching, then looked towards Aubrey.

    The assistant beside him removed his hat from his head. "Wait...if this is the model, then who the hell is that?"

    Even Chubbs had taken notice that something wasn't quite right. He frowned and looked between the director and Aubrey.

    All sounds muted as Carlos stepped away from the bar. "Come on, honey," he urged. "Step into that last bit of light we've got. Let me see you."

    Aubrey was standing right next to her now.

    "That isn't the model!" the director shouted at him. "Drake! That isn't the model! The model is right here! Fuck, I give up."

    "Should I go out there?" the model fretted, obviously worried that she'd fucked everything up.

    Carlos still stood apart from everyone else, hoping that he could get a clear glimpse.

    "Uh...yeah, go on out there. Vic, go with her."

    Vic and the model took off slow motion jogging in sand that kept trying to pull them down.

    Aubrey and the mystery woman were hugging, but something caused the woman to step back and take off running.

    "What the fuck?" Carlos's heart was hammering in his chest. "There's no way. There's no way that this is who I think it is."

     A moment later, Aubrey took off running after her. Hell continued to break loose. It didn't end there. Once Aubrey took off, Chubbs gestured to Frank and they took off. Chubbs raised his cell phone to his mouth. "Everyone on security needed on the North Beach, where the video shoot is taking place! An unauthorized person showed up to set and Aubrey went chasing her. We need to track him down and get him located. I repeat: everyone on security needed on North Beach!" He lowered his phone and grumbled, "I'm getting too fucking old for this shit."

    Carlos was tempted to take off after them all, too, but he knew he wouldn't catch up to them. He wanted to try, but at this point he had to put his faith in Aubrey. If this is what I think it is, God please just give them some stolen time to reunite and reconnect. I don't care if You've got to make bitches trip over branches or their own damned shoe laces. Whatever You have to do, please do it.

~~~~~~

    "Wait!" Aubrey cried out, catching a glimpse of the hem of her dress. "Please! Hold on!" If he didn't catch up to her, how could he be sure any of this was even real?