Chapter Seventy-Four

"This might be my favorite out of all of them," Carlos said as a dark-haired female real estate agent led the way into a bright, airy condo. From the entranceway, a window with a Pacific Ocean view was visible. He walked backwards while beaming at Destiny. "Can you imagine the parties? I can imagine the parties."

    Destiny slowly entered, gazing around. "It's amazing."

    "Since your well-hung fiance is willing to foot the bill, I figured I might as well take advantage of it," Carlos said, whirling around and linking arms with her.

    The real estate agent turned and threw a shocked look at Carlos.

    "I tend to say exactly what's on my mind," he explained to the real estate agent. "You get used to it over time."

    "No you don't," Destiny contradicted, laughing.

    Carlos steered her around the condo, waving his free arm in grandiose gestures. "High ceilings. Walk-in closets in both bedrooms. Huge Jacuzzi bathtub. A balcony that wraps around almost the whole unit. New everything. In what world does someone who was just last year working in a bakery get the option to live in a place like this?"

    "I wake up every morning asking myself that," she admitted softly.

    He grinned at her. "You're not the only one living in a fairytale, honey. This place...this place would've just been a dream to me, a year ago."

    She nodded, moving away from him to peer inside of the walk-in closet of the master bedroom.

    "And what about you?" he asked.

    "What about me?"

    "You dropped a pretty big bomb yesterday, with the whole hip hop internet reporter thing," he said, pacing the length of the room. "Have you given it any thought?"

    It's just about all I can think about, she thought, exiting the closet. "Ever since he and I had that talk yesterday, I've just been...waiting for some sign that this is the right thing for me to do. Reporting on the entertainment industry wasn't really what I had in mind when I set out to be a journalist."

    "But it's the chance of a lifetime," he pointed out. "You can't just throw an opportunity like that away."

    "Yeah, I know."

    "And how sexy is it to know that he's willing to storm the offices of the fucking Los Angeles Times just to defend your honor?" Carlos clutched his chest. "The man is just goals. Your relationship, minus some of the questionable kinky shit you engage in, is also goals."

    She smiled while twirling strands of hair around an index finger.

    "You and your thoughts need to get a room," Carlos muttered, his face twisting into an expression of mock-disgust.

    She walked up to him and playfully shoved him. "As if you can honestly tell me that you've been an innocent angel while you've been staying in L.A. You're hardly ever at the house."

    A mischievous twinkle gleamed in his eyes. "Bitch, my halo is intact."

    "Liar."

    He laughed and shrugged. "No one can say you don't know me." He linked arms with her again and steered her out of the room. "What you are going to do is you're going to take Aubrey up on his offer. You are going to launch that website. Become the biggest entertainment news journalist out there. Karen Civil had better watch out for her neck, because Destiny Richards is gunnin' for her spot."