Chapter Thirty-Nine

Destiny rose from the bed and followed Aubrey out of the bedroom.

    He led her down the hall and down the winding staircase leading to the ground floor. Then he led her down another hall, passing the living room, dining room, kitchen, angling off down another hallway and passing the home theater, game room, and home office. He opened a door at the end of the hall and another staircase stretched below them.

    She cautiously followed him down the stairs, briefly wondering which part of the house Carlos was hunkered down in. She half-expected him to pop out from around every corner after the encounter earlier that day.

    They reached the bottom of the stairs and were greeted with another door. At this point, Aubrey turned to look at her. "You're probably wondering where I'm taking you," he said.

    Glancing around their current location, it didn't look like he was taking to her a place that would look appealing. "If I had to guess, I'd say you were taking me to a dungeon," she muttered.

    A devilish glint sparkled in his eyes. "That's...actually not far off the mark."

    Goosebumps prickled along her arms, and she had the strangest urge to call her parents, in case she wasn't seen or heard from again.

    He threw his head back and laughed. "Stop looking so worried." He turned to the large metal door and flipped open the cover to a complicated-looking keypad on the wall beside it. "Back in Toronto, you got a taste of what I'm into. We had the red room. And we had some fun times in that room. That room was in a condo, though. This estate that I have here...well, let's just say I have a lot more space to play with." His fingers were quick as he typed in the access code, so quick that she wouldn't have been able to catch it even if she were paying close attention.

    She wasn't paying close attention, however. She was busy trying to keep her anxiety in check, because she didn't know what she was going to see when that door opened.

    The metal door slid open by way of mechanics. Metal gears could be heard shifting and moving to get the large, metal structure to move. The door slid open and out of view, recessing into the wall. Aubrey stepped into the darkness beyond. "Come," he ordered just as lights overhead flickered on, triggered by his presence in the room.

    She followed him into the room and gasped.

    The red room in Toronto had nothing on this room. The sheer size of the room looked like it spanned the length and width of the entire house. There were sex swings and platforms with cuffs, an unbelievably large bed off in the corner with ties around the bedposts, an array of whips and chains and floggers and blindfolds and every sex toy one could possibly imagine. Off to the other side of the room there were endless aisles of sex toys and gadgets and gizmos. It didn't look like someone's room. It looked like a sex toy store, complete with furniture displays. The room was huge. A refrigerator was off near the aisles of toys, and Destiny shuddered to think what he was keeping in there. A sink was setup beside the refrigerator, and strange tubes were hooked up to the faucet. There were tall, dark cabinets which looked extra ominous and the limited lighting over that area of the room. There were mirrors set up everywhere. All around the room, on the ceilings, and in some of the floor areas. There was an X-shaped structure near the center of the room; it was difficult to tell what the item was at first sight, but upon further inspection, Destiny saw that there were cuffs near the top and bottom of the "X." Both the top and bottom looked to be motorized.

    Is someone supposed to lay on that? she wondered, appalled at the thought. And...does it stretch a person's arms and legs open wider? Too frightened to think too much about the contraption and its possible uses, she turned away from it.