More Life: Chapter Fifty-Six

Off one flight and on to another. A ride complete with FBI escort to Aubrey's Los Angeles residence. Destiny's parents were given their choice of guest bedrooms to stay in. Darius swiftly conducted a meeting with the agents who would remain onsite. 

    Carlos expressed a desire to hang back in Los Angeles. "Normally, I'd be game to meet my future mother-in-law," he said, sounding exhausted. "But I'm tired, bitch. Between thinking my bestie was dead, to discovering she was alive, to having people try to take us off this little board game we call life...I need to just chill for a minute."

    "Completely understood," Aubrey said. "Pick out your room. Relax. The staff will take care of you, as far as meals and food deliveries go. Just remember that if you're to stay here, you're not leaving the property until the trial date. That goes for you and that goes for the Richards. That also means you won't be allowed guests to visit you on the property."

    "I'm too tired for guests anyway," Carlos said with a dismissive wave of his hand.

    Aubrey gave him a look.

    "What?"

    "This is serious. No guests."

    With wide eyes, Carlos stretched out his arms. "Do I hear an echo in here? I heard you the first time."

    "If you randomly get horny one night, Carlos," Aubrey pressed.

    "On Scout's honor. Do I need to put it on my mama? The fuck do you want from me? Obviously you don't know what it means when I tell you that I'm tired. Tired of running, tired of hiding, tired of being effortlessly fabulous, even. I'm definitely too tired to be out here trying to look cute." Carlos turned and stomped up the stairs.

    Aubrey turned and angled a look down at Destiny.

    She shrugged. "I don't think we have to worry about him."

    "Even if he tried to invite someone, security would turn them away."

    "We don't have to worry about him," she said emphatically.

    He slid an arm across her shoulders. "To be honest, I like that it'll just be you and me on this trip."

    "You, me, and a lot of agents," she said, suddenly sounding tired herself.

    Darius exited the living room and came to stand before them. "We've got half an hour, then we're back on the road."

    "I need to hug my parents," Destiny told Aubrey.

    "We both need to pack different clothes and anything else we might need," Aubrey added.

    "Make it quick," Darius told them both. Then his phone was at his ear again as he swaggered back into the living room. 

    Within twenty-eight minutes, new clothes and toiletries were packed, snacks were grabbed and the frazzled couple was back on the road. Seated in the middle seat, Aubrey gathered his woman into his arms and held her the entire trip back to LAX. 

    "You get your phones and laptops back once the wheels touch down in Toronto," Darius informed them. "All devices are fully charged."

    Aubrey nodded, lost in his own thoughts. An image of his mother entered his mind, and a surge of emotions came rushing at him. Trying to refrain from crying, he continued to press kisses to the top of Destiny's head.

    At some point, both of them fell asleep - only to be awaken once they reached the airport tarmac. This time, they were foregoing the theatrics. Everyone was aware that Destiny Richards was alive and breathing. They no longer needed to position the media to showcase that fact. All they needed now was safe and timely transport.