More Life: Chapter Forty-Five

"Why the hell does your ex look like me? Jordan? Jordan! Open this motherfucking door or I swear to God..."

    Jordan sat on the corner of the bed, staring at the locked bedroom door. Then, he lowered his eyes to the cell phone in his hand and the phone number displayed on the screen. With a sigh, he initiated the call and raised the phone to his ear. 

    "Hello?"

    "Candace. Hey."

    "Who is this?"

    He rolled his eyes heavenward. "Jordan. From college."

    "Oh."

    "Have you seen the news?"

    "I've been working nonstop, and I'm trying to avoid the news. What is this about? I didn't even know you had my number."

    "Turn on ETV."

    "Are you for real?"

    "Turn it on, Candace."

    There were rustling sounds on the other line, and then the random sounds of different tv shows being flipped through. "Okay...what am I supposed to be looking a-" Her voice halted and she released a small gasp.

    "Do you see it?"

    "Destiny? Oh - oh my God. What the hell is going on?"

    "I don't know. Crazy though, right?"

    She went quiet. "I'm not awake enough for this."

    "They're saying the tape might be old, because they can't tell how old it is," Jordan said, "but I've never seen her with that hair color. Have you? Even on FaceTime?"

    "Absolutely not," Candace muttered. "It doesn't even look like a hairstyle she'd like, honestly. It looks like a cheap wig she just threw on."

    "Right?" He ran a hand over the top of his head.

    Karissa was still screaming on the other side of the bedroom door. 

    Jordan took a deep breath before unloading his thoughts. "That hairstyle doesn't look like a woman trying to look cute. It looks like...someone trying to disguise themselves. Someone trying to hide in plain sight."

    "You're implying that she could still be alive?" Candace asked, her tone cautious.

    "I know it sounds crazy, but...yeah."

    She sighed. "Jordan."

    "What?" he asked, and he already knew what was coming. 

    "Are you sure this isn't your obsession with Destiny making an appearance? You were pretty salty after she dumped you, and you haven't been right ever since."

    "Thanks," he grumbled.

    "No shade...not really. Maybe a little bit of shade, but...suggesting that she's still alive is crazy. Her parents buried their daughter. Do you think Destiny would allow everyone she loved to think she's dead? There's no possible way she'd do that."

    "Unless, right? Unless, she had no choice." 

    That final possibility hung in the air between them. 

    Karissa had finally given up or lost her voice, one of the two. She was no longer yelling or beating on the door. 

    Candace sighed again. "Okay...okay. Let's say that you're right and she's alive. Why wouldn't she have a choice to warn the people she cared about?"