Chapter Forty-Six

When Destiny's insides had a chance to settle down, she was finally able to really focus on trying to put a look together for the blue room in Aubrey's house. Throughout their time in the store, he continued to activate the controller in his pocket. There was no getting used to a vibrator randomly going off inside of your body. As hard as she tried to get used to it, it shocked her each and every time. She did learn to control her response to it, to an extent however. Over time, she didn't have to lean on him or reach out and grab onto him for support - she was proud of herself for that.

    She pointed out items of interest, and he grabbed the items.

    They found themselves back at the suspension demonstration area, and Destiny stared up at the glimmering chains before quietly saying, "I want one."

    He arched an eyebrow at her. "Are you serious?"

    Was she? Raising a hand to her neck, she nodded. "Yes."

    "I already have a setup back at the house," he informed her.

    "I want this one," she insisted.

    He stared at her for a moment, then pulled one of the staffers aside. "We need this unit. Have the package brought to the front of the store. We'll also need someone to load the car."

    The staffer nodded. "On it."

    Aubrey turned and started to walk away.

    The staffer reached out and grabbed his arm.

    Aubrey froze and stared down at the hand on his arm before slowly turning to face the staffer.

    The staffer, a twenty-something with short auburn hair, lifted his hand up. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to...but are you Drake?"

    The expression on Aubrey's face softened slightly. "It's nice to meet you," he greeted politely instead of answering the question directly.

    "Oh my God, I listened to you religiously," the young man said excitedly. "To tell you the truth, I still do."

    "I'm flattered," Aubrey told him.

    The store employee ran a hand over his hair. "Like...what the hell? I'm talking to Drake right now."

    "Under normal circumstances, I'd love to stay and talk, but I really do have to get going."

    "Yeah, for sure," the young man said. "But I just had to tell you...that speech that you gave. The one where you were explaining that your private life is private and you're not ashamed of it, or whatever... a lot of us in the lifestyle were rooting on for you, man. You became like...the poster child of BDSM or self-expression or something."

    Aubrey ducked his head down modestly. "I don't know about all of that."

    The man shook his head. "No, there's no need to be humble. A lot of us have felt that we had to hide what we were interested in. A lot of us have had people try to change us. And that's what the media was doing. Trying to paint you in a corner, just because some of your hobbies are a little...different than the norm. And I say fuck that, man."

    "Your support is appreciated," Aubrey said, fighting the urge to laugh while bumping knuckles with the staffer. "Don't forget to have this unit moved to the front."

    "I won't forget," the staffer promised.

    Destiny looked between the two of them, feeling pride well up within her.

    Aubrey guided her away from the area.

    "Did you know?" she asked as they walked away from the grinning staffer.

    "Did I know what, exactly?"

    "That people in the lifestyle were regarding you as some kind of hero?"

    He laughed. "I've seen a few blurbs here and there, but didn't think much of it."

    "You really are too modest about it," she said. "That's...amazing."

    He shrugged. "I wish I could say that what I did was selfless, or that I was deliberately trying to be the voice for people who didn't have the platform that I do...but the words I said were for my own benefit, so people would reserve judgement of my ability to function as owner and CEO of Graham Enterprises."

    "Whether accidental or not, it's pretty extraordinary," she mused.

    "Slipping back into journalist mode, I see," he remarked, shifting the items he was holding from one arm to the other so he could press a kiss to her temple. "Excited for your meeting with the L.A. Times?"

    "Beyond exci-" The vibrator went off in mid-sentence. Her mouth gaped open for several seconds before she closed her mouth and glared daggers at him.

    He struggled to keep his facial expression neutral.

    "That was so fucking petty," she growled at him, tempted to punch him in the arm.

    "I'm sorry. It was. It was petty of me. Continue."

    She stared straight ahead, frowning.

    He laughed and kissed her temple again. "I'm sorry, baby. Don't be mad at me."

    "We'll see how you like it when I train you with a vibrator that I get to control," she muttered.

    He stopped in his tracks. "Excuse me?"

    She looked back at him without responding.

    "I love you with every fiber of my being, baby girl," he said slowly, approaching her. "But if you ever put a vibrator anywhere near my ass, you're pulling back a nub. Let's make that very clear."

    Now it was her turn to laugh.

    He looked increasingly disturbed.

    "I was just kidding," she insisted.

    "There are some things you shouldn't even kid about," he mumbled

    She was dangerously close to collapsing into a fit of laughter. "I'm sorry, baby," she said, mocking his tone.

    He shook his head. "I'm supposed to be training you."

    "Okay, okay, I'm sorry," she repeated, her tone turning serious.

    "I wouldn't be a loving Dominant if I didn't punish your behavior," he told her, changing the items from one arm to the other again and withdrawing a wallet from his right pocket.

    She watched his movements warily.

    Using one hand, he opened his wallet and eased out a matte black credit card with the pad of his thumb. "You're going to have the pleasure of paying for our purchases today."

    How is that a punishment? Does he think that me paying for everything will embarrass me? Since what we're buying is kinky? Her eyes locked on his hand, which returned the wallet to his pocket. Then her eyes shifted, looking at his left pants pocket. Her eyes darted back up to his face. "You...you wouldn't."

    "Was there anything else that you wanted?" he asked jovially, glancing around the store in mock- innocence. "Or were we ready to check out?"