Chapter Ninety-One

"Welcome to La Casa de Carlos," Carlos greeted with his arms outstretched. He backed up to allow Aubrey and Destiny inside of the condo that Aubrey had so generously given him.

    As expected, the place was decked out as colorfully as possible, reflecting Carlos's very live-out-loud lifestyle. The living room boasted Italian white leather furniture, and those pieces were just about the only neutral-colored objects in the joint. Everything else was in bold colors and patterns - even the kitchen was flamboyantly decorated in citrus colors.

    Carlos stood staring down at Destiny's belly while cupping his chin in his hand.

    Destiny returned his stare. "What?" she demanded. "And what's up with the glasses?"

    Carlos shook his head and lifted his eyes to her face. "Nothing - it just hit me that there's a baby floating around in there. That's going to take some getting used to. Whenever I insult you now, I'm not just insulting one of my favorite bitches...I'm insulting someone's mother. Makes me rethink my whole approach to communicating with you." He tilted his head to the side. "But who am I kidding? I doubt I'll give you a pass for long. You do way too much off the wall shit to get a lifetime get out of jail free card."

    She elbowed him as she walked past him. "You're one to talk."

    He doubled over as dramatically as possible, then turned as Aubrey passed by him.

    "Nice glasses," Aubrey remarked as he followed Destiny further into the living room.

    Carlos adjusted the spectacles placed on the bridge of his nose and grinned. "Thank you. They completed the look, so I had to grab em. Non-prescrip."

    "And I like what you've done with the place," Aubrey continued, glancing around.

    Carlos didn't respond. He was staring at Destiny's stomach again.

    "Carlos?" Aubrey called over to him.

    "You're starting to give me a complex," Destiny said, covering her flat stomach with her hands.

    Carlos rolled his eyes and waved a hand at her. "Stop being so damned aggy. It just blows me away that a kid is growing in there. And then the dumb part of my brain wonders how the baby got there, and then the smart part of my brain is like 'Duh, from some hard core fucking,' and then I wonder why it took so fucking long for you to get pregnant anyway, seeing as you two fuck every damned minute of the damned day, and then I remember that Aubrey neutered his damned self like...ages ago, and it's all clear to me. You know?" He breezed past them and collapsed on the couch, bringing one ankle up to rest on the knee of the other leg.

    Destiny stared at him dumbfoundedly.

    Aubrey sighed and shook his head. "What's stranger than the shit you say, is the fact that I'm starting to get used to it," he said, grabbing Destiny's hand and leading her over to the loveseat.

    "Because you love me," Carlos deduced with a wave of his hand. "And how can you not?"

    Destiny laughed as she sat down beside Aubrey. "I'm starting to second-guess using you as my wedding planner."

    "Ah-ah-ah," Carlos said, raising an index finger. "Your wedding planning liaison. There will be an official wedding planner. I'll just be coming up with a lot of the decorating ideas and shit. You know...since I have a great since of style. Speaking of which, you should probably allow me to design your dress, also." His eyes scanned down the length of the outfit she was wearing taking in the white button-down shirt and plain black skirt. "I shudder to think at what kind of paper sack looking mess you'd come up with."

    "Stop pretending like you think I can't dress," she tossed at him.

    "Pretending?" he tossed back. Then he brought a hand up to his man bun. "Chile, please."

    Aubrey laughed and leaned close to her. "I love the way you dress," he whispered to her.

    Carlos didn't hesitate to hone in on him. "Don't even get me started with you, mister. Because the rest of the world may have forgotten your fashion atrocities before you started wearing Italian designer suits, but I sir, have not."

    "You don't want to start with me today, Carlos," Aubrey said, but his voice carried no true threat. Instead, he looked quite amused.

    "What, are you going to threaten to take away my condo again?" Carlos asked him, and he sounded genuinely curious.

    Aubrey chuckled.

    "Canadian tuxedo, double-denim wearing ass," Carlos muttered. "You're lucky I even let you walk in the place with the fashion crimes you've committed."

    "Silliness aside, do you think that you'll be able to help pull something together within the next few weeks?" Destiny asked Carlos, leaning forward. "You know how quickly we're looking to do this."

    "Silliness aside, you can put your trust in me, mamacita," Carlos assured her. "Other than my job and the men practically knocking down my door to get at all of this..." He gestured down the length of his body. "...I will live and breathe your wedding, honey."

    She smiled, stood up from the loveseat, and ran over to him. She threw her arms around him. "Thank you, thank you, thank you," she gushed.

    "If you want to thank me, you can start by coming up for air once in awhile and visiting me in between makeout sessions," Carlos told her. "I miss hanging out with you, and now that you're all knocked up wedlock-style, you'll want to ease up on the fucking so that the poor thing doesn't come out of your vagina with major brain damage."

    She punched him in the arm.

    "Ow!" Carlos exclaimed, rubbing his arm. "Don't punch me. Punch Aubrey for being a long dick nigga who isn't for the long talking." Vigorously rubbing his arm, he stood up from the couch.

    Aubrey remained straight-faced while looking up at Carlos.

    "I know, I know," Carlos said, holding his hands up defensively. "I'm going too far, doing too much, and being extra, right?"

    "Nail on the head," Aubrey said sternly.

    "That's what happens when you guys don't come around as often as you should," Carlos said with a shrug. "I'm forced to make up for lost time."

    "I will come around more," Destiny vowed. "I was actually thinking maybe we could all go out for a movie. Grab some dinner. A little celebration."

    Carlos beamed. "Good idea."

    "You two can spend a little time together," Aubrey said, standing and glancing at his watch. "I wouldn't want to get in the way of your bestie hangout."

    "You're coming with us," Destiny insisted, flashing a look at him over her shoulder.

    A slow smile crept on Aubrey's face as he stared back at her. "Is that an official order?"

   She nodded quietly at him.

    He looked down, still smiling. "All right. I guess I'm going, then."

    Carlos looked between the two of them. "Is Destiny turning the tables on bitches?" he asked.

    Destiny laughed and linked her arm with Aubrey's.

    "Wait, no. I have to know. Some of your kinky shit just happened right in front of my face, didn't it?"

    "Will you grab your wallet so we can go?" Destiny asked as Aubrey led her to the door. "We'll be down in the car."

    "Hold up, bitches, wait for me!" Carlos shouted at them while runningtowards his bedroom.