Chapter 69 - The Missing Daughter

˗ˏˋChoosing The Villainess As My Mother ࿐ྂ

»»🦋»»

Willard Vaughan Crawther's POV

(So, this woman in front of me is the one responsible for taking good care of my daughter?)

"Did you get hurt, my lady?" I asked, watching as she shook her head in response.

"Thank you for your concern, my lord, but please excuse me. I have something very important to attend to right now, for my daughter is in danger," she replied urgently.

(Her daughter...)

(She's calling my daughter her 'own'.)

(And what does she mean that 'my' daughter is in danger???)

(Did something bad happen to my child?!)

"Pardon me, my lady, but may I know why your daughter is in danger?" I asked seriously, concerned as she is talking about my daughter.

"Well... if his lordship has lived here before, then I believe you already know about the children in the orphanage who were burned alive," she said, which surprised me since I had never heard such a story.

"And may I know why your daughter is in danger? I might be able to help," I offered.

"I appreciate your concern, my lord," she replied, looking serious.

"But I need to bring offerings to those children in the orphanage so they won't take my daughter away from me."

I raised an eyebrow. "Would you be so kind as to let me tag along? I would like to hear more about this story."

"Well, I do not mind at all, my lord, as long as you also bring your own offerings for the dead children." I nodded in agreement as she smiled at me.

🦋 - - ✄ - - - - 🦋🦋

A minute passed, and we finally arrived at our destination.

As an arch mage, I could feel a heavy and unsettling energy coming from the orphanage. It was a pity those children died in such a horrible way.

Being burned alive is very painful; you feel the fire on your skin while being cooked alive.

Being burned alive is the worst way to die. It would have been better if they had died in a way that let them rest in peace.

(I'm sure that even if hundreds of people pay respects and bring offerings for these children, who were left to burn...)

(I'm sure their souls will become evil spirits, unable to cross to the other side.)

(They'll become lost souls, unable to find 'peace' because they seek 'revenge'.)

I kept staring at the orphanage, and for some reason, I felt like there were eyes watching me from the windows inside.

"Gods and Goddesses, I pray to you..." she said, kneeling on the ground facing the orphanage. I followed her lead, kneeling and praying for the safety of my beloved daughter.

"And may these children's souls be forgiven. Through the mercy of the gods and goddesses, may these children find their eternal rest, may these children find peace," she continued. Then, she looked at the orphanage, and I did the same. Suddenly, the window shattered into pieces, and the front door slammed hard.

(The souls of these children... they're not happy even though we have brought offerings...)

"It seems like they're not satisfied with what we brought. As I thought, an offering will not change anything," she said. I looked at her.

"Then it only means that I must protect my daughter at any cost tonight. I will not let them take my daughter away from me," she said confidently. I nodded my head and looked back at the orphanage. I caught a glimpse of a dark figure of a child, and I could see it smiling at me.