Chapter XXI - A Misunderstanding

{Long Chapter Ahead - 7,270 words}

"All squads....deploy the long-distance scouting formation!" Erwin shouted.

The scouts have all scattered.

They went to their rightful formation in their new formation, called the "Long-Distance Scouting Formation."

It's developed by Erwin.

He suggested it a long time ago already, but commamder Shadis strongly opposed to his idea.

But after gaining countless unecessary casualties, Shadis have decided to take Erwin's invented formation into consideration.

Erwin and Y/n stayed with their commander as they are both under the command's position in the front.

Mike and another scout with them, too. Y/n's brows shot-up upon seeing red signal flares were fired on the sky.

"Red signal flare confirmed!" Commander Shadis said.

"Roger that, preparing green!"
Erwin said.

Erwin fired a green signal flare on the sky, and just a few seconds after he fired a green smoke, the other squads also fired a green signal flare on the sky. And everyone continued moving forward, still in their new formations.

Y/n's brows furrowed when she noticed that the sky is turning dark.

"Erwin...they sky..." Y/n said.

Erwin clenched his jaw.

He nod his head. "Yes...those clouds don't look good." The blond-man said.

Y/n muttered a few curses under her breath after the skies and the clouds were completely darkened and their surroundings started to become dim.

"Squad-leader!! The sky!!" A male soldier said.

"What the hell? It's unusual for them to form so quickly." Mike said.

"Be careful, all of you. Something terrible is coming." Erwin said.

Y/n felt her heart raced out of anxiousness. She then looked back, worried for her comrades, especially to those who're on the last places.

The sky completely darkened.

Aa thunder and lightning erupted in the sky and the rain suddenly poured down. It's freezing cold and heavy.

Everyone wore the hoods of their cloaks as they still continued moving forward. "What the hell is this? For the weather to turn this bad on our first run..." Commander Shadis said.

"Y/n, fire a black signal." Erwin said.

Y/n nod her head. She took out her signal flare gun and loaded it with a black signal flare, it's for emergency.

Y/n fired the black signal smoke on the sky, but to her dismay, the smoke have gone off because of the rain.

"Erwin, it's not working." Y/n said.

Erwin gritted his teeth.

Y/n gripped tightly on her horse's reigns. Her and everyone else were surprised upon seeing a thick fog.

"Fog..." Erwin muttered.

"Goddamn it..." Y/n muttered.

Erwin focused his eyes on their way. they're still moving though they have slowed down because of the thick fog.

"Commander. Unfortunately,
we can no longer scout ahead. We should expect to encounter a titan at any moment." Erwin said, seriously.

Y/n looked at Mike who's just on her left. "Mike, can't you smell them?!"