Chapter LXI - Overthrow

{Long Chapter Ahead - 5,225 words}

- Mitras City, Royal Capital -

Erwin's brows shot-up upon sighting a group of children running away from a nobleman. "Is that a gang of child thieves? I didn't think the royal capital would be in such bad shape..."

Nile who's seates beside him let a frown to be plastered on his face.

"Its the same everywhere. Even if you try to track down, the holding cells are already overflowing." The dark-haired man looked at him. "So what do you mean calling an MP like me off the job at a time like this? Can't even handle a royal summons on your own? I'm not in the mood for a chat about our days in the training corps."

A small smile crept onto Erwin's lips.

"...Cut some slack, Nile."

The frown on Nile's face faded away as he got a look of Erwin's bitten-off right arm. "I was sure...you were going to an early death. Your right arm's already waiting for you in the afterlife." Nile said, making Erwin to smile once more. "Is it because you still believe in those delusions you talked about as a kid?" Nile asked.

Erwin looked outside through the window, watching every buildings they passes by. "Yeah...and those delusions are turning into reality "

"...Good for you." Nile said, uninterested. Ever since they were young boys, he nevee took Erwin's dreams into consideration. He's one of those people who said Erwin's too crazy to be thinking about his theory.

"By the way, Nile. Minister Nivk was tortured then killed by the MP's interior squad. Were you aware of that?" The blond-commander asked.

Nile's eyes widened a bit, he looked at Erwin, and there in his face, Erwin saw that Nile wasn't aware of what had happened to the minister of the church of the walls. "...No." Nile said.

"...I see." Erwin said, nodding slightly.

"It seems they wanted to know Eren's location. Why you MPs want Eren so badly that you're willing to kill for him?" Erwin asked the dark-haired man. Nile glanced down, his face showed an evident look of anxiety.

"We're...just following orders from above. We don't know their reasons. And while we're the face of the military police brigade, the interior MPs are on the other side. Our chain of command is different, and we don't have any contact with them...even we don't know what they're thinking. There's no one who exercises official control over them, either. They have a free pass to do whatever they want."

Nile looked at Erwin, raising a brow, the blond-man just nodded to him.

"So you came here to have me tell you something you already knew? It won't make any difference if you twist my arm."

"What do you think?" Erwin asked.

It seems the blond-man didn't even take his non-humorous joke into his mind. "Huh...?" Nile mumbled.

"Will handing Eren over to them end this crisis inside the walls? What do you think?" Erwin asked.

Nile paused for a moment while he stares at Erwin's blue-eyes. Even after so many years, now that they're both grown-men...he still can't figure out Erwin. "Its not my place to think about that. All I do is carry out the job given to me." Nile passively stated.

Erwin smiled as he nod. To him, Nile is still the same. He still likes to avoid conflict. "How's Marie doing? I heard her third's on the way." Erwin stated.

Nile frowned.

"Why don't you learn to focus a little?"

"As I remember, you wanted to join the survey corps alongside me. But then you fell in love with a girl at out favorite bar, and chose to protect that one woman instead of joining the corps." Erwin said, ignoring Nile's growing annoyance towards him.