Chapter 018: Purchase (2)

"That's all. Settle account."

The shopkeeper took an abacus and calculated the account, "All total is... 272 wen. Seeing that young man takes care of my business, I'll take out the remainder 2 wen and charge a total of 270 wen."

Qin Mian said with a smile: "As the shopkeeper said, we are taking care of your business. You see, we buy so many in one purchase, it'd be better to charge 250 wen. We will definitely come to patronize again when our oil, salt rice and flour are finished. Correct?"

Lei Tie's eyes fell on Qin Mian, this teenager brought more and more surprises to him.

The shopkeeper was stunned and smiled helplessly. "Young man has the gift of the gab. But we are a small business and to cut down the price this way is too cruel. How about I cut another 5 wen, otherwise I will make a loss."

"How so?" Qin Mian swiftly said, "You see the goods here are so complete, everyone who knows will come to your shop to buy things. You can imagine how prosperous the business will be. After I return to the village, I'll help you to publicize, which will bring more money. Charging less will bring more repeat customers. It's a good deal!"

The shopkeeper couldn't help laughing, but there was a helpless look in his eyes. "Alright, alright, charge 250 wen is just fine."

"Many thanks, shopkeeper." Only then Qin Mian was satisfied, cupped one fist in the other hand towards the shopkeeper and then beckoned Lei Tie to pay the bill.

There was a big pile of things; the plates, tea sets and porcelain cups which were easy to break were put in rice and flour, so as not to be easily collided by pressure.

The shopkeeper nodded to himself, this young man is clever.

Fortunately, the basket was big enough to hold almost everything. The neck of the oil jar and the salt jar were tied with a rope and directly held in Lei Tie's hand.

When they were leaving, the shopkeeper sent them off for a bit of a distance.

Qin Mian reached out. "I'll hold oil and salt."

"No need." Lei Tie avoided his hand, "I will make more money in the future so that you can buy whatever you want."

"Cough cough!" Qin Mian pretended not to hear, "We have more things to buy. Do we hire a cart? Is it expensive to hire a cart?"

"Don't know."

"Don't mind it. Spend on what should be spent; money can be earned." Qin Mian went to a cloth shop with purpose. Because he had been wandering around before, he had already remembered it.

Lei Tie walked on the outer side of him to avoid him bumping into people as he looked around.

Once arrived at the cloth shop, Qin Mian asked about the prices of various kinds of cloth before he directly chose the cheapest linen. When he asked what colour Lei Tie wants, he got "you pick" as a response, and so he chose blue and cyan for himself, indigo and black for Lei Tie. Each colour was to be made into a set of clothes and would be picked up in a few days. After that, he asked for two pieces of grey cloth for the window curtains. Four sets of clothes, two pieces of cloth, plus the labour cost of making clothes were a total of 285 Wen.

Qin Mian was flexible and knew what to say in different situations and to different people. He called the lady shopkeeper in her early forties 'sister' and got 15 wen cut down easily, which surprised him a bit.

But Lei Tie didn't feel surprised. His wife of today was no longer the black, thin and cowardly teenager. In recent days, his recuperation had come into effect and in addition, he had been exercising. His skin was not only white, but his body was also stronger, especially the pair of bright eyes that were spirited. His whole person was full of vitality and there was even a little ingeniousness. On top of his eloquence, it's hard for people to dislike him.

Coincidently, the cloth shop sold cloth shoes. Qin Mian bought two pairs of cloth shoes for each of them and asked the shopkeeper for some odd bits of cloth. He planned to sew several pairs of socks to wear when he went back. Ah poor.

After leaving the cloth shop, the duo rushed to the food market. They didn't have to buy vegetables as Lei's vegetable garden had them. Qin Mian mainly bought meat; firstly, it was for entertaining guests and secondly, it was to eat to one's heart's content.

The shopkeeper of the butcher stall had a pair of keen eyes. When he looked at Qin Mian and Lei Tie, he knew that Qin Mian was the master of the two, so he took the initiative to say, "Young man, these are fresh pork. Which part do you want?"

Qin Mian's eyes were drawn from the pieces of liver, spareribs, streaky meat, bone, lean meat and fat, "What are the prices?"

"2 wen for one jin of bone, 3 wen for liver, 10 wen for lean meat, 12 wen for spareribs, 14 wen for streaky meat and 16 wen for fat."

Qin Mian took into consideration that he was still growing up, so bone soup was good for his health, "Two jin of bone, one jin of lean meat, two jin of liver, one jin of streaky meat and one jin of fat."

Lei Tie said: "Can buy more fat."

Qin Mian was taken aback, "Do you like pork fat?"

Lei Tie shook his head.

Qin Mian didn't understand and it took a while for him to realize, did Lei Tie think the more expensive, the better? He smiled at Lei Tie and said to the shopkeeper, "Two Jin more fat."

"No problem!" The shopkeeper picked up the butcher's knife, skillfully chopped the meat and weighed it one by one.

"Young man, look at the scale. Bone is two jin[1] and two liang[2], consider two Jin for you; lean meat is one jin accurately; liver is two Jin and two liang, also consider two jin; streaky meat is one jin also accurately; fat is three jin and one liang, consider three jin. All total up to 82 wen, consider 80 wen for you." The shopkeeper tied the bone and meat together with straw rope and handed it to Qin Mian.