Chapter 071: If You Want to Be Rich, Plant Fruit Trees

There were hundreds of trees in the grove, such as locusts, white poplar, fir, willow, and bamboo. The trees were worth a sum of money if they were cut down and sold. Qin Mian suggested buying several baskets of eggs to gift to the villagers. Whether it was an elder in his 70s or 80s, or even a newly born baby, he would give two eggs to each person that should be considered as him buying these trees, so as to avoid future disputes.

The villagers were quite happy. These trees had been there for a long time and they did not plant them. It was a surprise that they could get benefits from it. People in a farmer's household were particular about "the more sons, the more happiness". The smallest family of three members could get six eggs, and a large family could get more than 20 eggs. They could eat two eggs per meal lasting for several days.

After the land deed was obtained, Qin Mian and Lei Tie prepared tea and snacks and put a writing brush and paper on the short-legged table. Their heads were next to each other as they planned the new farmland.

"What do you think?" Qin Mian just casually asked. Lei Tie did not have high requirements for many things and the things he often said were "listen to you" or "you decide".

Surprisingly, Lei Tie opened his mouth and pointed to a place in the square drawn by Qin Mian, "It's convenient to dig a pond here to raise fish and plant lotus root. It's also convenient to water the vegetables."

Qin Mian's eyes lit up. "That's a brilliant idea. The so-called "face south with the back to the north[1]", when the wall is built on this piece of land, the entrance gate should be right in the south. The trees can't be planted from the house to the gate to avoid blocking the view. This is the most suitable place to dig a pond."

[1] describe the orientation of the house, that is, the house is located on the north side, the back of the house faces the north, and the entrance/doors open on the south side. China is located in the northern hemisphere of the earth and the eastern part of Eurasia. Most of the land is located north of the northern latitude. In winter, the sun's altitude angle is small, with the doors and windows of the house facing south, which allows more oblique sunlight to enter the room, thereby increasing the indoor temperature. In summer, when the sun's altitude angle increases, the sun's rays from the doors and windows are relatively small, which can keep the interior cool.

Lei Tie nodded, "I've seen a gourd-shaped lake in the south[2]. Our pond can imitate that with a bridge at the waistline."

[2] the southern part of the country.

Qin Mian gave him a thumb up. After drawing the pond and the small bridge with his writing brush according to what was said, he pointed to a corner with the tip of the brush. "We'll have our hands full with farming and planting vegetables and fruit trees. We'll hire people later, right? Keep a piece of land next to the wall here to build a servant's quarters."

Looking at his cheerful and energetic appearance, Lei Tie's eyes softened. In that year when he was forced to marry a man soon after he returned home, his heart felt a part of sadness and three parts of humiliation, but in fact, he still had six parts of willingness. During his twelve years at home, nobody cared about him; during his ten years away from home, nobody genuinely put him in their heart, and even nobody could step into his heart. Moreover, he was used to seeing all kinds of darkness. Therefore, he longed for someone who belonged to him completely, belonged only to him, and that he could love with all his heart. At that moment, Qin Mian appeared. Although he was dark, thin, timid, and weak, he had no parents and no support. After Qin Mian married him, the boy could only rely on him. So, no matter what, he would not agree to divorce. In spite of Qin Mian being a man, (LT) he did not at all like women as he had been abused by Du Shi for many years. It was good that Qin Mian was a man. Men understood men better. At first, he only wanted to possess and control Qin Mian; now Qin Mian was the one he loved.