Chapter 037: Thick-skinned

There were several more female voices outside the room, making Qin Mian lift his head from the drawing and put the pencil back into the space before he opened the door.

Du Shi, Zhao Shi and Qian Shi stood in front of the kitchen with their heads held high. Lei Dabao and Lei Xiaobao, who were holding Zhao Shi's legs, looked at the uncooked pheasants in the basin while drooling. Lei Xinxin was also there, holding Qian Shi's hand while sucking her finger.

Sister Zhang and Aunt Wang stood awkwardly by the water vat as they wiped their hands on the aprons with a furious expression.

Qin Mian understood. Sister Zhang and Aunt Wang must have been bullied. He raised his voice and spoke, "Mother, second younger brother's wife and third younger brother's wife, why are you guys here?"

Zhao Shi coquettishly laughed. "Eldest sister-in-law, don't you want to treat people meal at noon? We came to help you cook. But, we didn't expect you to invite other people."

Du Shi's face was grim. "Eldest's wife, don't you take me and your father seriously?"

"Yeah, inviting outsiders rather than the relatives, eldest sister-in-law, this is going....." Qian Shi intentionally spoke halfway.

Sister Zhang and Aunt Wang were silent while frowning. Just now, the words of Du Shi and her company were rude which made them both angry. They both were invited by Qin Mian and Lei Tie, which had no relation with Du Shi and her company. What's going on with Du Shi and her company being arrogant and bossy here?

Qin Mian looked at Sister Zhang and Aunt Wang with an apologetic look. Sister Zhang and Aunt Wang shook their heads to signal that they were fine.

"Mother, second younger brother's wife and third younger brother's wife, you guys misunderstood. I have to pay for inviting Sister Zhang and Aunt Wang to cook. I do want to ask you guys to help me cook, but should I pay or not? If don't pay, I feel apologetic to trouble you guys; if I pay, it's too outlandish and hurts the relationship between the two families. Mother, don't you think so? I didn't invite you guys after much thinking but didn't expect the mother, second younger brother's wife and third younger brother's wife to misunderstand. I'm really sorry."

Du Shi, Zhao Shi and Qian Shi were speechless for a while. They had inquired that the salary of Sister Zhang and Aunt Wang to help cook for a day was the same amount as those men. They earned 20 wen for doing a meal, which was quite a lot, and it also included free lunch. If Qin Mian asked them to help cook but didn't pay for it, they would be unwilling, but how could this be said directly?

Sister Zhang and Aunt Wang, upon seeing that the three people's faces had changed, laughed secretly and busily turned around.

"I was also afraid you'll be bored if come early. I was going to call you guys at meal time." Qin Mian looked at the sky. "Mother, it's roughly another two hours or so before mealtime, why don't you sit down, have some tea and chat for a while? Just leave the work in the kitchen to Sister Zhang and Aunt Wang."

Sister Zhang and Aunt Wang smiled at each other and went to the kitchen to keep busy.