Chapter 073: Digging Pond (2)

Qin Mian also went that way. The area of ​​the pond was marked with branches, and the workers were divided into two groups, digging from the waist of the "gourd" towards both ends. If one group's progress was too far behind the other, it would certainly look bad for that group. Each took off their cotton-padded clothes and only wore a single unlined garment with rolled-up sleeves. They stepped on the shovels as they dug the soil, working in full swing.

Lei Tie stood not far away, glancing over the crowd without expression.

"Your idea?" Qin Mian came to his side and asked in a low voice.

Lei Tie nodded, "Has the matter of Uncle Fang settled?"

"En." Qin Mian suddenly saw Lei Xiangren carrying a shovel on his shoulders and swaggering towards this side. He felt disgusted in his heart, "Why is he here again?"

Lei Tie's eyes turned sterner, "No one called him."

Lei Xiangren came over very quickly and chose a position before stepping on the shovel to dig the soil, seemingly to be full of energy.

It was just that, when he dug a shovel of soil, others had already dug three.

Not far from him, Second Uncle Deng happened to notice this and scornfully frowned.

Qin Mian raised his eyes to look at Lei Tie, and said in a low voice, "[I'm] upset."

Lei Tie pressed on his shoulder and motioned him to watch again.

Lei Xiangren slowly dug the soil with his heart blooming happiness. He could earn more than 200 Wen if he mingled with these people for two or three days, just like picking up money.

At this time, he suddenly felt a pain in his right knee and fell to the ground.

"What's wrong?" A villager next to him asked kindly.

"It's nothing. It's nothing." Lei Xiangren rubbed his knee. Perceiving that there was nothing wrong with it, he quickly got up from the ground. Who would have known, he had yet to stand firm, his knee felt numb and totally unresponsive, and his bottom sat on the ground once again.

Lei Xiangyi was perfectly clear of Lei Xiangren's mind, so he said in annoyance, "Second Brother, if you're not well, go home to rest."

"I––fine. I'll come to help the Eldest Brother some other day." Lei Xiangren choked back his unwillingness, afraid that there was some hidden ailment with his leg. He had to use the shovel as a crutch as he left sluggishly.

A few villagers who were close to him breathed a sigh of relief. Although it was not them who paid the wages, if they did more and got the same wage as Lei Xiangren, who had done less, they would naturally feel uncomfortable.

"Did you do it?" Qin Mian approached Lei Tie with his eyes sparkling.