Chapter 197- 198

Chapter 197- Bask in Happiness

After reading the information, Qin Wencai's face paled and his hands trembled. He had never thought that Qin Jian, his eldest son, had secretly assigned killers to nab Qin Mian, who was only 12 years old at that time ten years ago! Fortunately, the two killers met their foes before they had time to start on Qin Mian. The clever Qin Mian took the opportunity to escape. It was a pity that he still couldn't fight against bad luck. He was sold to a wealthy family by human traders to be a page. Two years later, he found a chance to escape again. He fled to Green Mountain Village and fainted because of illness. Later, he was forced to marry Lei Tie as a wife. Not long after, he had "memory loss" due to an unexpected incident.....

Qin Jian started on his brother for the sake of two medical books handed down from generation to generation by the Qin Family's ancestors. One was the "Thousand Golden Prescriptions" inadvertently obtained by the ancestors, and the other was the "Collection of Qin's Art of Healing" compiled by the Qin Family's ancestors. These two medical books not only collected nearly a thousand miraculous prescriptions that the world didn't know of but also contained nearly a thousand real medical cases, including some rare disease cases with their curative treatments.

In the Imperial Institute of Medicine, Qin Wencai had not the highest rank, but the highest status. He was also the personal imperial doctor of Emperor Xiaohui. The most important reason for these was that Qin Wencai had these two medical books – he could identify many diseases that other imperial doctors didn't understand.

There were two extremely important rules in the Qin Family: first, before one's first legitimate son is born, one can't have a concubine-born son; second, these two medical books are only passed on to one's legitimate son. However, Qin Wencai made a mistake when he was young. Compared with the justified legal wife, he preferred the gentle concubine, which led to the birth of the concubine-born son before the legitimate son, and even four years older than the legitimate son.

However, Qin Wencai did not dare to violate the second family rule even if he was a scoundrel. It was because he was very clear that the Qin Family's ability to maintain its glory for generations was closely related to this rule. After his legitimate son was born, he was quite fond of his legitimate son because he was smart and quick-witted. Therefore, his attention gradually returned to the legal wife and his legitimate son. Even when his legitimate son was four years old, he began to teach him how to identify herbs, intending to put a lot of effort to train him. But unexpectedly, this caused the elder son Qin Jian to be jealous and unwilling to take things laying down. Before Qin Mian was born, his father's most favorite son was him! As Qin Jian was getting older, with the concubine inflamed and agitated him from time to time, his heart became more and more distorted. Finally, at the age of 16, Qin Mian reached the end of his forbearance.

When Qin Mian happened to meet him that year, Qin Jian discovered that he had lost his memory. Besides, he was afraid of Lei Tie – he only secretly guarded against Qin Mian and tried his best to prevent Qin Mian from meeting Qin Wencai. After Qin Mian and Lei Tie left the Capital, Qin Jian left the matter behind.

Later, Qin Mian and Lei Tie entered the Capital again and he learned that Qin Mian was actually the Lady of the State Defender Duke. Qin Jian was really shocked and always on tenterhooks for a long time. Seeing Qin Mian did not have the intention of coming to the door, he could only restrain and try his best to prevent Qin Wencai and Qin Mian from meeting each other. Because he was afraid of Qin Mian and Lei Tie's identity, he dared not deal with Qin Mian, but only dared to start from Qin Wencai's side, even paid a high price to buy Qin Wencai's attendant, so that he could report every particular gesture and behavior of Qin Wencai to him.

Unexpectedly, Qin Wencai and Qin Mian still met. To confirm Qin Mian's identity, Qin Wencai even went to the western pass with Qin Mian. Qin Jian was truly afraid at that time. Once Qin Wencai knew Qin Mian's real identity and that his disappearance were related to him, he would not only lose standing and reputation but also lose hope for the two medical books and miss the wealth accumulated by the Qin Family over the past few generations. As the result, Qin Jian secretly contacted killers and hired them to assassinate Qin Mian at a high price. He thought that when he contacted the killers, he had hidden his true identity very well. One didn't have to think about it – the emperor was a man who covered the country with one hand and besides, the Capital itself was at the foot of the emperor. Wasn't it easy for the emperor to find the person behind the curtain?