Chapter 063: The Meal at the Relative's House Is Not Delicious (1)

"Mulberry wood." Qin Mian was surprised and held the little bow more tightly, "So this is mulberry wood. As far as I know, mulberry is a very precious wood, equal to yellow pear[1]. It can submerge or semi-submerge in water and its texture is stable and less warped. The core material of mulberry wood is only the thickness of a finger and there are yellow-like gold threads inside. This gold thread is not an annual ring but only grows once in three to five years. It's not easy to find such wood."

[1] Also known as yellow rosewood; a precious wood because it is extremely stable, it does not deform, crack, or bend regardless of cold or heat, and has a certain degree of toughness, which can be used to make all kinds of special-shaped furniture.

Lei Tie said: "As long as you like it."

Qin Mian said: "Like it very much."

He took the bow and arrows into the bedroom and cherishingly hung them with Lei Tie's big bow. When he came out, Lei Tie had served the food on the table.

"How about going up the mountain tomorrow?" Qin Mian asked excitedly.

Lei Tie said: "Practice shooting fixed target first, then practice shooting moving target."

"So troublesome?" Qin Mian was disappointed.

Lei Tie lightly said: "How to run without learning to walk?"

That was quite reasonable. Qin Mian had nothing to reply with. He could only concede and got up to slice meat for White Spot...

The next day, Lei Tie inserted two sticks in the yard with an old straw hat hung as a target in the middle and asked Qin Mian to aim and shoot.

Qin Mian had only got his own bow and arrows. He was full of interest. With Lei Tie's guidance, he shot again and again tirelessly. At first, he failed to hit the target. After shooting seven to eight arrows, he found the feeling that he could hit the straw hat accurately and it was getting closer to the centre.

In the beginning, Lei Tie only enticed him to have fun, but seeing that he had some talent, he (LT) was a little surprised and taught more seriously. First, he made him (QM) shoot an arrow 2 zhang (6.6 m) away from the straw hat and then retreated to 3 zhang (9.9 m) away, gradually widening the distance.

Qin Mian had just begun to learn archery. His arms were sore after some time and finished his practice at noon.

Lei Tie said: "From now on, only practice an hour every day. Haste makes waste."

Qin Mian nodded. He also felt that it was a bit unbearable; he could not even lift his arms. "What to eat for lunch?"

Lei Tie answered: "Hot pot, I make."

Qin Mian smiled and lay relaxed on the settee, "Sure. You make it, I wait to eat."

Lei Tie was not so particular about making hot pot as Qin Mian. After the water boiled, he poured in the seasoning, tasted the flavour, added salt when it tasted light, and put in the sliced meat, meatballs, potatoes, spinach and cabbage leaves brought back from the shop yesterday. By the time the meat and potatoes were cooked, the spinach and cabbage leaves had turned too soft to even pick up with chopsticks.