10. twenty-one

Alexandra's POV:

So last month, I ran into my old friend, Malik. He & I used to date for a couple months and the only reason we broke up is because he moved away for college.

He asked me to hang out with him today, so that's what I'm doing after I leave the facility today. That is if he's not too busy.

Once practice was over, I noticed Blake was making his way toward me. Before I could find a reason to get away from him, my phone rang. Without checking to see who it was, I answered it and turned my back to Blake.

'Hello?'

Malik: hey Alex. i have some bad news.

'You can't make it?'

Malik: I'm sorry. Something came up at work -

'You don't have to explain; I know you're a busy person.

Malik: are you sure you're not mad?

'I promise I'm not.'

Malik: I swear I'll make it up to you.

'Okay.'

I hung up and slipped my phone back into my shorts pocket. When I turned around, DJ was just standing behind me.

"How long have you been standing there?" I asked.

"Long enough. You wanna come to lunch with us?" he asked.

"Who is 'us?'"

"Me, India & Glen," he said, "and Blake may or may not be there too."

I know if I hang out with DJ, sometimes that requires me hanging out with Blake too. No matter how much we don't get along, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

"Alright."

"Cool. I'll see you later."

He left the building, leaving me by myself. Or so I thought. Out of nowhere, I heard a basketball bouncing and I turned around only to see it was Blake bouncing it.

"You look very sporty today," he said, dribbling the ball in my direction, "where are you going?"

"I was gonna go play basketball with a friend," I replied.

He stopped dribbling the ball and looked at me like I was crazy. Almost like he was shocked that I'd be playing basketball.

"What are you still doing here? You don't wanna keep her waiting."

"He couldn't make it, so we had to cancel."

He nodded and moved a little closer to me, something he had a tendency of doing.

"Can you back up a couple feet? You're invading my personal space."

He dribbled the ball between his legs and smirked. How does he manage to make dribbling a ball sexy?!

"You don't like me very much, do you?" he asked, still smirking.

"I don't like your attitude."

He stopped dribbling the ball and playfully pouted, "I don't have an attitude, baby girl."

What is with all the pet names?

"Don't call me that."

He continued to pout and moved closer to me, "you don't wanna be my baby?"

I reluctantly smiled because believe it or not, I actually thought that was cute.

"No," I said, letting my smile fade, "I just want you to leave me alone."

"You don't mean that."

"Oh, but I do." I looked at the ball in his hand and I got an idea, "matter of fact, let's play twenty-one. If I win, you have to leave me alone. If you win, I'll stop bein' a bitch and we can be friends."

I grabbed the ball out of his hands and walked out onto the court. "Bet?"

•~•~•

Blake's POV:

"Bet?"

I looked at her skeptically before agreeing to the bet. She tightened her knee brace, then picked up the ball to start the game.

I originally thought I would have to go easy on her, but that's not the case because she plays like a got damn pro. She started winning, but I came back so now we're tied at twenty.

"You know," I said, dribbling the ball, "when I make this, you & I are gonna become best friends."

"Or you could miss," she smirked.

I smirked back and bit my bottom lip. I really wanted to just drop this ball and kiss her, but I quickly shook that thought so I could focus.

I shot the ball, and it bounced off the rim. She got the ball, dribbled it down the court and smirked at me before she shot it.

"Nothing but net," she said to herself.

She turned to me and smiled, "well that was fun, but I gotta go."

She winked at me, grabbed her stuff and jogged out of the building.

I have never played against a girl like that, and I think it only made her twenty times more attractive. I know I'm supposed to leave her alone, but I can't. Something about her is so enticing to me.

•~•~•

Alexandra's POV:

After I took a shower & changed, I went to DJ's house to pick him & India up, then went to the restaurant where we were meeting Glen & Blake. The hostess showed us to a table, and of course, Blake decided to sit next to me.

The waitress took our drink order and as soon as she walked away, he put his arm around me. I knew he wouldn't take that bet seriously.

"I thought you were hanging out with Malik today," India said while the guys held their own conversation.

"He had to work."

She nodded and took a sip from her drink, "so now that y'all are reunited, are y'all gonna try dating again?"

"I doubt it."

She smirked looking at Blake's arm, that was still around my shoulders, then looked back at me.

"Well if that doesn't happen, you & ol' dude can hook up," she said, gesturing towards Blake, "he seems really comfortable around you."

She continued to smirk at me and took another sip from her drink, then turned her head to talk to DJ & Glen.

I felt Blake run his fingers down my arm and when I looked at him, he refused to look at me, but there was a smirk on his face.

"Did that bet mean anything to you?" I whispered to him.

He grazed his lips across my ear, sending chills down my spine, "nope."

When he looked at me, I just wanted to grab him & kiss him, but I don't wanna give anyone the satisfaction of knowing I think Blake is a hot piece of ass. Especially India.

"So you're just gonna continue to make my life a living hell?" I asked, trying to hide my amused smile.

He let out a deep chuckle, making me squirm around in the chair. Not exactly the kinda reaction I was expecting.

"Every chance I get, baby girl."

He licked his lips and winked, and I bit the corner of my lip to suppress every single negative thought crossing my mind.

What the hell is this man doing to me?