21 • proving a point

Blake's POV:
Sitting in India's office, I kept my head down because I could feel her staring a hole into the top of my head. I know she knows about last night, and I know she's gonna grill me about it.

"Blake...what is my job?" she asked, breaking the uncomfortable silence.

"To make sure I have a positive public image."

I finally looked up at her and just as I thought, she was giving me an intense death glare. I cleared my throat and wiped my sweaty palms on my pants. India is very intimidating, especially when she's working, which is why I'm so nervous.

"Exactly! And how am I supposed to do that when you do stupid shit like this?!"

She turned her computer screen around, showing a video of my sloppy actions from last night. As I watched, the only person I could think about was Alex. If she sees this video, she's gonna think I slept with that girl when I didn't.

"Did you sleep with this one?" she asked, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"No," I answered honestly, and she nodded. "Do you know if Alex has seen this?"

"I don't know," she said, looking up from her computer, "but if she has and if she's upset about it, I'm gonna kick your ass."

"Why are you so protective over her?" I asked.

She looked up from her computer, again, clasped her hands together on her desk and raised her eyebrow. It's almost like I offended her.

"Because she's a young girl out in LA all by herself," she said, "she's like the little sister I always wanted, and I don't wanna see her get hurt."

Toward the end of her statement, she gave me a pointed look. Why does everyone think I'm gonna hurt Alex?

--+--

Saturday, April 11, 2015

I've been calling and texting Alex since Thursday, but she never answers her phone. She didn't come to practice yesterday, so I'm pretty much convinced that she's ignoring me.

I tried not to think about it, but it's hard when she's standing right next to me, stretching JJ out. Once she was finished, she wished him good luck, and her smile quickly disappeared when she faced me.

"Hey," I said carefully, "I've been trying to get in touch with you for the last couple of days."

"I know," she said dryly, "lie down."

I did what I was told and lied back on the table. I watched her stretch my leg, while trying to come up with something to say to her.

"How's Jaden?"

"Still sick."

She turned to walk out of the room when she finished, but I grabbed her wrist and pulled her back.

"Look, Alex, I can't take you not talking to me." I tried to get her to make eye contact with me, but she looked everywhere but at me. "I know you know what happened, and I know you're mad, but ─"

"I'm not mad," she said, finally making eye contact, "I don't have the right to be mad. We're both single, and we're allowed to do what we want."

She smiled, but I knew it was fake, and she quickly walked out before I could stop her.

•~•~•

Alexandra's POV:
Technically, I did not lie to Blake because I'm not really mad. But even if I did lie, it doesn't matter. We don't owe each other anything.

For some reason, I ended up on the court shooting around with Chris and in the process, I felt a ball hit the back of my leg. I turned around to pick it up and when I looked up, Courtney Lee was standing behind me.

"So you're the one that threw this ball at me?" I joked, handing the ball back to him.

He chuckled, "sorry about that." He tucked the ball under his arm and extended his hand for me to shake, "I'm Courtney, and you are?"

"Alexandra."

He smiled and let go of my hand, then started dribbling the ball, "that's a beautiful name."

I bit the corner of my lip, trying to hide my smile as the heat rose to my cheeks. Blake is the only person who has had this effect on me, so this was weird.

"Thank you."

Out of nowhere, I felt a strong arm around my shoulders, and I just knew who it was.

"What are you doing?" Blake asked.

"I'm talking," I grinned, "to Courtney."

Courtney looked between Blake & me, then raised an eyebrow, "are y'all..."

"Yeah," Blake answered, "she's my girlfriend."

Oh. He tells me he's not into relationships but as soon as he sees me talking to another guy, I'm all of a sudden his girlfriend. Okay.

"No, I'm not," I said quickly, "I'm not his girlfriend."

I glared at Blake, and I just wanted to slap the smirk off of his face.

"Don't listen to her," Blake said, "but if you don't mind, I need to talk to her for a second."

Before Courtney could say anything, Blake led me off the court. Once we were out of sight, I wiggled out of his grip and pushed him off of me.

"What was that?" he asked, "were you trying to prove a point? Make me jealous? What?"

I furrowed my eyebrows, "I wasn't trying to do anything but talk to somebody."

"Bullshit, Alex. You were flirting with him, and you weren't even trying to be subtle about it."

I rolled my eyes and chuckled mentally because I don't know how to handle him. I guess he thinks just because I'm fucking him, I'm not allowed to talk to other guys.

"I wasn't flirting with him and even if I was, why does it matter?" I asked, "You took a girl home the other night and did God knows what with her."

He didn't say anything, so I just walked away. The game was about to start, and this is the last thing he needs to be worried about.