69 • happily never after

august 9, 2017

Alexandra's POV:

"Mama, why do we have to move?" Jaden asked me. "All my friends are here."

I looked up from my laptop and sighed at the solemn look on his face. I was looking for a new team to work for, and there were a couple of teams interested. However, I was only interested in teams on the east coast. Not only was I trying to get out of California, I was trying to get off the west coast all together.

Boston & Miami were the only teams that piqued my interest, but I really didn't want to move to Boston; so Jaden & I would be moving to Miami in the near future.

"I know, baby; but I have to work for another team now," I said. "So we gotta move."

He huffed and sat back on the couch. "But what about Blake & Ford? And Uncle DJ & India?"

I cringed at the mention of Blake's name. He was the reason I needed to get out of L.A. because there was no way I could even be in the same city as him.

I closed my laptop and put it to the side. "Uncle DJ and India said they'll come visit us whenever they can, and we can always come back here to visit."

"What about Blake?" he asked. "I thought y'all were gonna get married and have babies and all that stuff."

"Jay, you know Blake & I broke up a while ago," I said carefully. "You'll still see him when the Clippers play Miami."

He sucked his teeth and folded his arms. "This is stupid."

He turned his head so I wouldn't see that he was about to cry, and I just felt bad. Between Chris moving to Houston and Blake & I breaking up, Jaden wasn't all that happy these days.

I opened my mouth to say something, but I knew there was nothing I could say to make him feel better; so I stayed quiet. The doorbell rang, and I got up to see who was there. I checked the peephole and furrowed my eyebrows when I saw Blake. I hesitantly opened the door and stood in the doorway with my arms crossed.

"What?"

"Can I come in?" he asked.

"No, now what do you want?" I asked, growing irritated with his presence.

"Please, Alex?" he pleaded. "I wanna talk to you."

I glared at him for a second and rolled my eyes before I opened the door a little wider to let him in. I didn't want Jaden to see him and get excited, so we went in the kitchen to talk about whatever he wanted to talk about.

"Why are you here?" I asked again.

"I miss you, Alex." I could hear the sincerity in his voice, but I felt nothing. "I haven't seen you since the season ended, and I wanted to see you."

I looked at him out of the corner of my eye with my lips pursed. "You came all the way over here just to tell me that?"

He groaned and ran his hand down his face. I knew I was being difficult, but I didn't care at the moment. I didn't wanna look at Blake, talk to him, think about him, or even breathe the same air as him.

"Why do you have to be so stubborn?" he finally asked me. "You act like I'm the one that broke up with you."

"I broke up with you for a reason, or did you forget that?"

He sighed and held his head down. I could already feel myself getting emotional just thinking about the day we broke up, and it still upset me.

"I know, and that shouldn't have happened." He lifted his head, and his eyes were red and a little puffy. "I should've never said the things I said to you, and I'm sorry. I didn't mean any of it, I was just —"