42 • parental guidance

Alexandra's POV:

As soon as I woke up this morning, I went to the bathroom to handle my hygiene business. I put on some clothes, then went to check on Ford. He was still asleep, so I quietly left his room so I could leave the house before Blake's parents got up.

I softly closed the door and when I turned around, I was face to face with Blake's mom.

"Could I talk to you for a minute?" she asked me.

"Y-Yeah, sure."

I followed her downstairs to the kitchen, where her husband just so happened to be. I just mentally prepared myself for them to call me a tramp for sleeping with their son.

"So what is this relationship you have with Blake?" she asked, pouring cups of coffee for her husband and herself. "Because from what I saw yesterday, you're definitely not 'just the trainer.'"

I laughed a little at her air quotes around "just the trainer" while I thought of a way to answer her.

"Well...I guess you could say Blake & I are just really good friends," I answered, twiddling my thumbs.

They looked at each other and smirked before they both took a sip of coffee, obviously picking up on what I meant.

"How long have you two been such good friends?" his dad asked me. "And whose idea was that?"

"I think it's been four months now," I replied, making their eyes widen. "Blake said he's not ready for a relationship, and I try to respect that."

His mom shook her head. "You're a beautiful young lady, and I'm sure there are plenty of men out there that would love to have you, so why are you waiting for Blake? Don't get me wrong, I love my son, but he clearly doesn't see what he has right in front of him."

That was a good question that not even I knew the answer to. And honestly, I never expected his mom to ask.

"I don't know," I finally answered. "I guess I just really like him."

She smiled. "Just don't let him take advantage of you, sweetheart. You don't deserve that."

I nodded, taking in everything she said as Blake came in the kitchen with Ford.

"There you are." He kissed my temple and stood next to me. "I thought you left. Good morning, Mom & Dad."

"Morning," they said in unison.

They looked at Blake, then smirked at each other and sipped their coffee. I laughed and shook my head, while Blake looked at the three of us with an eyebrow raised.

"What's going on?" he asked.

"Nothing," his mom said. "We were just getting to know Alexandra, and we like her. In fact, we're taking Ford to the aquarium later; you should come with us."

I checked the time while adjusting Ford on my lap. It was almost ten o'clock, and I knew I had to pick up Jaden.

"That's sounds like more of a family thing," I said. "Besides, I have to go pick up my son."

"Bring him," Blake blurted. "I haven't seen him in like three days."

I nodded. "Well, I should probably go then."

I tried to give Ford back to Blake but just like yesterday, he wouldn't go. Instead, he clung to my shirt and laid his head on my shoulder.

"No!" he whined. "Rah Rah stay."

"I'll be back, sweetie, I promise," I whispered to him. "I just have to go get Jaden, okay?"

He looked at me with a pout on his face, looking just like his dad, and nodded, and I gave him to Blake's mom so Blake could walk me outside.

"I guess I'll see you later," I said as he wrapped his arms around me.

"Alright."

He kissed me and grabbed my butt with both hands, forcing me to push my body into his. I pulled away and put my hand on his chest so I could catch my breath.

"I'll be back."

He nodded and kissed my forehead, then let me go so I could pick up Jaden.

•~•~•

Blake's POV:

"You do that with all the trainers?"

I walked in the house after Alex left, and my dad was leaning against the wall with his arms crossed over his chest.

"How long have you been there?" I asked.

"Long enough to know that young woman is not 'just the trainer,'" he mocked me. "What is really going on?"

I shrugged slowly, not wanting to answer. "We're friends."

He shook his head and blew out a sharp breath, obviously picking up on my lie. "You've been 'friends' with the same girl for four months, but you won't commit because?"

I've heard this speech so many times, and the last thing I wanted to do was hear it again.

"We're basically already in a relationship," I said. "The only thing missing is the title, so I don't see what the big deal is."

He sighed. "Let me break something down for you, son. Without the title, she can go out and find herself another 'friend,' and there's nothing you can do about it. If you're not gonna commit to her, you need to stop stringing her along."

"I haven't been —"

"Yeah, you have," he said, cutting me off. "You tell her you're not ready for a relationship and because the poor girl loves you so much, she stays."

My head shot up when I heard the word "loves," and my dad laughed at me.

"Did she say that?!" I asked, trying not to sound too eager. I cleared my throat, then tried to play it cool. "I mean, did she tell you that she loves me?"

"No, but anyone with two eyes & half a brain can see you two love each other," he said, rolling his eyes. "It's obvious she wants to tell you how she feels, but she's probably afraid of getting rejected. What you need to do is man up and make it official before she gets tired of you and moves on."

He, literally, slapped me on the back, then went back to the kitchen with my mom & Ford.

______________________________

Will Blake take his dad's advice??? 🤔