67 • the visit

january 26, 2016

Alexandra's POV:

While Jaden was at school, Blake decided to go by the Clippers' practice and he took Ford with him—leaving me by myself. I didn't mind because I had plans today that I knew Blake wouldn't approve of. He had his own personal shit going on, and he would go ape shit if he knew what I was doing.

I specifically got dressed in a white t-shirt & black jeans and paired it with white Huaraches. I ordered an Uber and while I waited, I put my necessities—my license, key, and some money—in a clear, plastic clutch. I went downstairs and twenty-five minutes later, my ride showed up; and he took me to my destination: the California Institution for Women.

"Do you want me to wait?" the driver asked.

"Yes, please. I shouldn't be long."

I got out of the car and walked into the dreary building. After I was searched, I had to fill out a visitor's pass before being escorted to the visitors room, where I had to wait a few minutes before I could see her.

The door opened, and Brynn walked in with an officer trailing behind her. She glared at me, and I glared right back at her—unbothered by the fact she thought she looked threatening. She sat across from me while the officer stood in the corner.

"What are you doing here?" she asked, her voice laced with attitude.

"Don't get tough now, Brenda," I quipped. "You knew I was coming."

She rolled her eyes and sat back in her chair. "What do you want? Did you come here to rub this in my face?"

I shrugged, crossing my arms over my chest. "A little bit. I really came down here to ask you what the fuck I ever did to you for you to want me dead."

I had no intentions of beating around the bush with her because I didn't want this visit to last any longer than necessary.

"I got twenty-five years without parole for first degree attempted murder," she chuckled bitterly. "I don't know when I'll see my kids again because no one will bring them to see me, and you want to know why I don't like you?"

"Bi—" I stopped myself and took a deep breath. This attitude of hers was at an all time high, and I really wanted to snatch her ass across the table. "Listen, you have no one but yourself to blame for being in here. If your smart ass wasn't tryna put me in a grave, you'd be at home with your damn kids."

She held her head down and clasped her hands on the table. Her feelings were hurt, but I didn't give a shit. She didn't like me, and I didn't like her; there was no point in even pretending I cared about her feelings.

"So what was it?" I pushed, trying to get back to the original conversation. "Were you jealous? Or are you just that much of an evil person? And don't give me that bullshit about me 'not deserving' Blake. Whatever the fuck that means."

"Does it even matter anymore?" she asked flatly, sounding defeated. "It's over. You won."

"I won?" I laughed internally at how childish that sounded. "I almost died, I have a broken leg, I get paranoid whenever I'm in a car, and I lost a fucking baby!" I felt the tears rolling down my face, but I didn't bother to wipe them away. "So what exactly did I win? Blake? Of course I 'won' him. He's my fucking boyfriend. It's not like you were my competition."

I sniffled and quickly wiped my face, pissed at myself for getting emotional in front of her. I stood up to leave because I was over this visit, and she pretty much—in not so many words—told me what I wanted to know.