40 • a wise warrior

july 9, 2015

Alexandra's POV:

Today was definitely a bittersweet day for me. It was my baby's sixth birthday, and I wasn't handling it well.

I walked up to his room and sat on the floor next to his bed. I knew he wasn't sleeping because he was trying his hardest not to smile, so I sang "happy birthday" to him.

"Thank you, Mommy," he smiled, sitting up in his bed.

"You're welcome, baby." He gave me a hug, and I hugged back tightly. "J, I thought you promised me last year you were gonna stop growing up?"

He giggled and stroked my hair like he does when he tried to comfort me. "I'll still be your wittle baby, Mommy."

I laughed at him trying to baby me and sat up, getting a good look at him. The older he got, the more he looked like Michael.

"So what does the birthday boy want for breakfast?" I asked.

"Chocolate chip waffles," he sang, getting out of his bed. "And bacon!"

He walked out of his room, and I laughed at how goofy he was being. Today should be a fun day.

--+--

3:30 p.m.

"Alex, who are those two men at the grill," India asked, walking back into the kitchen. "They are fine."

I looked up from icing Jaden's cake and looked at her as if she'd lost her mind. "My dad & my brother..."

I've never had a friend that didn't think my dad & brother were attractive, and I always found it gross. Same thing goes for my guy friends and my mom & sister. It was weird.

"Your mom is one lucky woman," she said, looking in the backyard. "She gets to wake up to your dad everyday."

"My parents are divorced."

She smirked. "Is he looking for another wife? I don't mind being a stepmother."

"You're no better than Blake & DJ," I laughed. I grabbed the foil pans off the counter and handed them to her. "Do you think you can handle taking these to my dad?"

She took the pans from me with a smile and went back outside. I was having a party for Jaden, and everyone was already here. I was just waiting for a couple of other people.

"Rah Rah!"

I smiled when I heard Ford's voice and when he & Blake came in the kitchen, I dropped everything I was doing and took Ford from Blake.

"Well hello to you too," Blake said.

I chuckled and gave him a kiss. "I'm sorry, but I always get excited when you bring Ford around."

"I've noticed." He looked at the counter behind me and raised an eyebrow. "Why does it look like a bakery in here? Is all of this for the party?"

All of the counters were covered with cookies, cakes, pies, and any other form of baked good. I was up since one o'clock baking because I had so much on my mind, so it did kinda look like a bakery.

"Not all of it," I answered. "Sometimes when I'm happy or sad, I bake a lot."

"Which one are you today?"

I set Ford down on an empty spot on the counter and gave him a cookie. "A little of both."

Luckily, he didn't ask any questions about the way I was feeling, which I was grateful for. I didn't wanna tell him, or anyone else, that I was upset because Reyna & I weren't speaking.