60 • crashing

december 21, 2015

Alexandra's POV:

My car has been in the shop for a week, and I'm finally getting it back today. As much as I enjoyed having Blake chauffeur me around, I missed my baby.

After we left the nail salon, India took me to the auto repair shop; and I grinned when I saw my car sitting out front. The mechanic gave me the keys and explained what all he had done before he let me go.

"Seems like you're good here, so I'm gonna go," India said. "Text me when you get home."

"Okay. Text me when you get to DJ's house."

I left the auto repair shop but before I went home, I needed to go to the grocery store. I wanted to just go home and get out of this traffic, but I promised Jaden I'd make him a red velvet cake for Christmas; so, I figured why not get the ingredients while I'm already out.

Instead of going through town, I took a shortcut to avoid traffic. I noticed my speed gradually increasing, so I took my foot off the gas and lightly hit the brakes. The car didn't slow down, so I put a little more pressure on the brakes; but it still didn't slow down. Considering I just got my car out the shop, this shouldn't have been happening.

I slammed my foot on the brakes when I realized I was approaching a car, then I began to panic when I didn't stop or even slow down. To avoid getting in an accident and hurting someone else, I swerved off the road and the car kept going until I hit a tree. The airbag deployed, and I groaned when it came in contact with my face. I unbuckled my seatbelt and crawled out of the car, ignoring the pain shooting through my left arm and my ankle.

I used my right arm to help me sit up, and I just looked at my car wrapped around that tree as a few people swarmed around me. I heard one of them on the phone with 911 as the others asked me if I was alright, but I was too speechless to answer. While they continued to ask me a bunch of questions, I closed my eyes and thanked God for getting me out of that car alive and not seriously injured.

"Thank you, everyone. I'm —"

Before I could even tell them I was fine, my car randomly burst into flames; and everyone around me screamed.

I could have been in there, I thought to myself as I stared at my burning car with tears in my eyes.

One of the people that came to check on me, an older woman around my grandmother's age, sat on the ground next to me and put her arm around me. I had no idea who she was, but I just broke down in that woman's arms.

•~•~•

Blake's POV:

"Blake, are you & Mommy gonna get married?" Jaden asked as I wrapped Alex's gift.

I looked up from wrapping, and he was looking back at me expectantly. He always asked the most random questions, and they always led to interesting conversations.

"I think we will one day," I answered, and he smiled. I put the gift under the tree, then went back to the couch. "Do I have your permission to marry her?"

"Yes!" he exclaimed. "When you get married, will you be my new daddy?"

"I guess you could say that, but you know Michael will always be your real dad, right?"

"I know, but I like you better. Don't tell him I said that," he said, whispering the last part.

I laughed a little and promised him I wouldn't say anything.

"Are y'all gonna have babies when you get married?" he asked, making me laugh again. "Because I want a brother...or sister."

"I'm sure we will," I answered. "Your mom and I want a girl."