62 • going home

Alexandra's POV:

It was 8:45 p.m. and for some unknown reason, I was alone in the park. I decided I was gonna go home, but there was a little girl on a swing by herself; and I immediately went into mommy mode. Where are her parents? Do they know she's here?

I sat on the swing next to her, and she looked at me with a smile. She was an adorable child. She had caramel-colored skin with freckles across her nose and cheeks. She had a head full of curly black hair, and something about her dark brown eyes was familiar to me.

"Hi, sweetie. What's your name?" I asked, swinging a little.

"Samantha," she said proudly.

I smiled. "I like that name."

"Thank you," she grinned. "My big cousin's name is Samantha too!"

I giggled because she was so excited about that, and her excitement reminded me of Jaden.

"That's so cool!" I said. "Um, Samantha, what are you doing out here by yourself?"

"The Big Guy said I could play before I go home."

I nodded, assuming "The Big Guy" was her dad or even her grandfather, but I didn't see anyone.

She got up from the swing and mumbled something to herself, then she looked at me. "It's time for me to go home."

I was prepared to take her home since there was no one out here with her. She walked around the slide and I got up to follow her, but she disappeared. I frantically searched the park for her, but I couldn't find her anywhere. I looked around a little longer until she finally resurfaced near a sandbox.

"There you are," I said, walking toward her. "Where'd you go?"

"To find Daddy."

I nodded. "Did you find him?"

She happily nodded and pointed behind me. I turned around and furrowed my eyebrows when I saw Blake approaching us.

"I've been looking everywhere for you two." He looked and sounded tired. His voice was deeper than usual, and he looked like he had been crying.

"Hi, Daddy!" Samantha smiled, running to him.

He picked her up and kissed her cheek and at that point, I was beyond confused. Did he have another child he didn't tell me about?

"Blake, who is this?"

He looked at me with so much hurt in his eyes as they watered a little. "Babe, don't do this — especially today. It's Sam...our daughter."

I felt like he was messing with me because I think I'd know if I had another kid.

"Hi, Mommy!"

"H-Hi."

I had a million and one thoughts running through my mind, and that's all I could say. Out of nowhere, the sound of thunder echoed through the sky and the grayish-black clouds parted as a bright light shone through. Samantha looked up at the sky, then she looked at me & Blake and smiled.

"I have to go with The Big Guy now," she said as she pointed to the sky.

Realization finally hit me and when it did, I became an emotional wreck. When she said she was "going home," she meant heaven.

"Wh...Why do you have to go?" I sniffled.

She shrugged, and I giggled a little because, again, she reminded me of Jaden. "I don't know. The Big Guy said it's not my time yet."