61 • culprit

december 25, 2015

Blake's POV:

I wanted to spend a little time with Alex before the game, so I went by her house. I was greeted by her family and then Jaden, who thanked me for his Christmas gift. He then told me his mom was in her room, probably asleep; so I went upstairs and found her lying in bed.

"Don't look so sad, baby girl. I'm here now," I said walking into her room. She smiled, causing me to do the same — especially since she hadn't been herself the last couple of days. "Merry Christmas, baby."

"Merry Christmas." She gave me a hug, and I kissed her cheek then sat on the bed with her. "I missed you."

I chuckled. "It was only one night."

She smiled sheepishly and held her head down while fidgeting with her fingers. "I know."

I hugged her waist and laid my head on her chest. "Don't worry. I missed you too," I said before I kissed her chest.

She ran her fingers through my hair, and I admired her as she did. She had her glasses on, and her curly hair was pulled into a loose bun. Her face was makeup-free, but it wasn't like she needed it; she was perfect with or without it.

"I was told I had to wait until you got here to open my present, so can I do that now?"

I nodded, and she picked up the small, gift-wrapped box on her nightstand. I watched nervously as she unwrapped it, hoping she liked it.

"Aww, I love it!" she squealed, taking the necklace out of the box. It was a gold, heart-shaped locket with a picture of Jaden, Ford, and me inside. She turned it over and cackled at the "elephant shoes" engraving on the back. "Thank you."

She leaned down slightly to kiss me, then she reached into her nightstand drawer, pulled out a box, and handed it to me. I sat up on my elbow to open it, and I looked at the gold Rolex in awe. I slipped the watch out of the box and turned it over because I felt something on the back. I let out a hearty chuckle seeing the "elephant shoes 8/12/2015" engraving before I put it on my wrist.

"I guess we kinda think alike," she giggled. "I know it's not much, but —"

"Stop. I love it." I checked the time and noticed it was time for me to leave. "I gotta go, but I'll be back after the game."

She sucked her teeth and frowned while crossing her arms over her chest. "I wanna go."

"I know you do, but you need to rest that leg so you can come back." She sighed and mumbled something under her breath. I chuckled and pecked her lips a couple times, then I got up and walked toward the door. "I love you."

Her frown quickly turned into a smile, and she bit the corner of her bottom lip. She twiddled her thumbs for a second, then she looked up before saying, "I love you too."

I grinned and winked at her, then I left to go to Staples Center.

--+--

"So how's your girlfriend?" Brynn asked me.

After I did the post-game interview, I went to find Brynn so Ford & I could go.

I looked at her skeptically and raised an eyebrow as I took Ford from her. "She's fine, but since when do you care?"

"I just wanted to know if she was alright," she said defensively with a shrug. "You guys ever find out who messed with her brakes?"

"No, the police st—" I stopped mid-sentence when I realized what she asked. The only thing Brynn knew about Alex's accident was what she heard on the news because I never mentioned anything specific about it to her. "How did you know someone messed with her brakes?"