44 • the meddling kid

Blake's POV:

"If you & this woman aren't seeing each other anymore, why is her son going with you?"

DJ & I were taking Ford & Jaden to a baseball game, and Brynn made sure to nag me about any & everything the minute I showed up to pick up Ford.

"Because I promised him I would take him to a game someday, and it just so happened to coincide with my weekend with Ford," I explained.

"You barely spend time with your own son, and now you wanna —"

"Don't," I warned. "You know I spend every free second I get with him. That is, when you're not keeping him out of spite."

I grabbed Ford's things, and we left so we could get Jaden.

When Alex opened the door, it took every ounce of me not to grab her and kiss her like I was so used to doing. I hadn't seen her since she ended things between us last week, and I missed her.

"Hey."

She gave me a head nod without making contact, then called Jaden. He ran around the corner with a big smile on his face and gave me a hug. I never thought I'd miss a kid as much as my own, but I did.

"Jay, I want you to be good for Blake, okay?" He nodded, and she smiled at him. "Well, have fun. I love you."

"I love you too, Mommy. Bye!"

She kissed his forehead, and he ran out to the car. Before I could say anything to Alex, she went back inside and closed the door.

--+--

"Blake, are you & my mommy gonna be friends again?"

I had a feeling Jaden wanted to say something, but he stayed quiet. He would look at me and when I would look at him, he would look away quickly.

"I don't know," I answered. "Your mom doesn't really like me right now, and I don't think she ever wants to be friends again."

"Yes she does," he said, sounding a little disappointed. "She's not happy anymore because she misses you. You have to fix it."

I could tell this kid was desperate for me & his mom to make up but then again, so was I.

"Did she actually say that?" I asked curiously.

"Yes."

I didn't know if he was telling the truth or just telling me what I wanted, and needed, to hear.

"So what do you suggest I do?"

"Tell her sorry," he said a little on the stern side, making me laugh mentally. "Then...you take her on a date."

I laughed. "You think that'll work?"

He nodded with a grin while shoving a handful of popcorn in his mouth. I knew it was crazy to listen to a six-year old, but I missed Alex. If I had to take advice from her kid, I was willing to do it.

•~•~•

Alexandra's POV:

I was so happy when Jaden came back home. I missed my kid way more than I imagined I would.

"Did you have fun today?" I asked after closing the front door.

"Yeah! I got my ball signed," he said, excitedly showing me his baseball.

I had no idea whose signature I was looking at, but I smiled anyway. "That's so cool, baby. I'm glad you had fun."

We went in the kitchen where I had been baking since Jaden left. I made chocolate cupcakes, Jaden's favorite, a red velvet cake, a carrot cake, two cheesecakes, and I had a batch of brownies in the oven. I had no idea who'd eat it all but once I started, I couldn't stop.

"Mommy, are you sad about something?"

I handed him a cupcake and shook my head. "No. Why do you ask?"

"You always bake a lot when you're sad — or happy," he pointed out. "Do you miss Blake?"

That was the last thing I expected him to ask me. I knew he missed having Blake around and after spending the day with him, he was bound to bring him up, but it still caught me off guard.

"I know you do, Mommy." He smiled and licked some icing off his cupcake. "He misses you too."

I smiled but when Jaden looked up, my smile quickly faded. I didn't want him to know that I did miss Blake.

"Did he tell you that, Jay?"

"Yep." I looked at him suspiciously because I couldn't tell if he was lying. "You should talk to him, Mommy, and let him apologize. Then he can take you on a date."

He grinned and walked out of the kitchen with Marley. I laughed and shook my head because I couldn't believe my six-year old son was giving me advice.

_________________________

Jaden is determined to get Alex & Blake to be friends again.

Question: What do y'all think should happen next because I don't know. Is a week a long enough break for them? Should it be longer? Or should they go ahead and make up? Drop a comment and let me know what y'all think.