Chapter 1

Shanique

"Skeng breed the neighbor dog Shanique." Mommy told me over the phone.

I stopped my movements as I tried to process what she just said to me. My baby is not ready to be a father, why mommy allow this to happen?

"What do you mean, him breed the neighbor dog? You sure is Skeng do it?" I asked her still in disbelief.

I don't want anybody come put them whoring dog babies on skeng enuh.

"Is him do it. Him practically live over the people dem yard. All me lock up the place him find him way over there." Mommy says, sounding annoyed.

Why is she annoyed when is me affi go deal with this situation now. Skeng not even there for three weeks good, how this happen?

"He hasn't been there for three weeks good mommy, are they sure?" I asked, clutching at straws practically.

"Shan, the lady bring her dog go vet today for its monthly checkup and the doctor tell her seh the dog pregnant. All the one Skeng him nuh move from the gate whole day until the lady come back with the dog. A him breed the lady dog." She said confidently like them couldn't a tell lie on my baby.

I can't believe this.

"Ah boy, when we come back I'll sort it out. Is what kind of dog she have?"

"You better come sort it out cause the lady vex bad. It's a Shih Tzu she have too enuh. Suh when she come a tell me now mi affi a seh why Skeng suh wicked fi gone climb the woman likkle bit a dog with him overgrown self." She says laughing. I didn't find it funny.

Can a Shih Tzu even carry PitBull puppies? I'll have to Google it.

"Anyways, you got the pictures of Gizzy from Shawntel?" Mommy asked sounding excited.

"Yes sah. Mi love them! She looks so much like Fabian it's scary. From the red skin go right down to the her nose. Shawntel just carry she, cause nothing she have for her." I say with a chuckle.

Gizzy is growing everyday and it's like I'm watching it in real time due to Shawntel's frequent updates with videos and pictures. I soon have to buy some more storage on my phone because of her.

I'm happy that she shares them with me and mommy though because if it was up to Fabian alone I don't see one picture. Him mean and stingy with the baby yuh see. When you call him, he would sit and chat from now til a mawning like seh a him mi call fi see.

He's excited about being a father though and I love that.

"Mi child, a the same thing I tell them. I said, 'that's a replica of baby Fabian, down to the sleeping position is the same.' Them just laugh cause they know it's true. I don't know if Shawntel did hate him the whole pregnancy or wah but she just produce a whole mini Fabian." She says laughing. I joined her but was cut off by her next question.

"Suh a which part a the world yuh deh now?" She asks and I sigh.

The weeks have been moving by so quickly. We left Sheychelles a few days ago and landed in Dubai. Their was a vast difference in the environments and I could tell this will be the more energetic portion of the trip.

I felt like I was in paradise spending lazy days floating in the ocean and riding around the towns in Sheychelles but Dubai is alive and filled with city lights and my husband's energy has shifted since we got here.

"I'm in Dubai mommy. We have been here a couple days now actually." I tell her.

"What a thing eeh? Yuh just a travel suh, last week a Africa this week Dubai. Me love that for you Shanique." She says sounding proud of me.