Chapter 42

Shanique Munroe

As a big woman I'm still scared of my mother and mi nuh shame fi talk.

This lady has managed to put the fear of God in me for years without even raising her voice. Mommy don't shout nor beat but trust and believe that you're going to know and feel when you're in trouble.

Seeing her walk into the living with her determined face on, I visibly shake. I didn't expect her to come home yet. I was just enjoying Skeng and his little family's company.

"Shanique Grant, I didn't know that you still know where your mother yard is." She said coming to rest on the sofa opposite me and the puppies.

I didn't know what to say, so I kept quiet.

"Why suh much dog in a my house? Didn't I say I don't want that lady's gremlin looking puppies over here?" She went on to say as she removed her church shoes.

I sat on the floor watching her like a hawk but not saying anything.

What can I even say to her? I disrespected her and shut her out of my life for months now. I don't expect anything less than a tongue lashing from her, and when I do get it, I deserve that shit.

Soon Anderson follows her in holding her handbag.

Then watch good son-in-law?

He placed the bag beside her on the couch and comes over to me, helping me off the floor. All while this is going on, my mom eyes doesn't leave us for a second and I know that she is observing everything.

"Gonna take the dogs for a walk. You two should talk." He says before scraping up the two puppies into his arms and whistled at the two dogs before waking out.

Like two well trained canines, they followed Anderson through the door.

Welp

"I'm tired of telling Anderson to stop haul up Charmaine crosses dog and her puppy dem enuh. Now him have them in my house, that boy don't listen one bit." My mom says narrowing her eyes at my husband's retreating back.

"See him deh, a suh him have them up and down behind him all the time." She says to me.

"I can tell, they are very familiar with him." I say in a small voice.

"Have to... he's been here a good two months doing nothing more than pet dog." She says with an attitude and side-eyed me.

I shifted in my seat uncomfortably at her accusatory tone. After a nuh my fault the man lef him yard come kotch a fi her.

"Unu sort out everything now?" She probed when I didn't say anything.

"Not everything, but we are working at it." I tell her and she nods.

"That's what you have to do if you want to keep this relationship Shan. Work at it, everyday for the rest of your lives. The work never stops." She preaches and I nod.

She nah tell no lie, this marriage shit has been one big ass battle after the next.

"I get that now and I made it clear that I intend to do what it takes to make it work. So we will see what comes of that." I shared.

At least we talking about this and not my blatant regard for our mother-daughter relationship.

"You know, one thing I learnt about you very early on, is that you are headstrong. Whatever you hold in your heart, that is exactly what you will do and it won't be easy convincing you otherwise. I never wanted to dim that about you, instead I fostered it." She said with a chuckle.