Chapter 10

Shanique Grant

"I want to go to church this weekend."

Dan looks over at me from his seat on the mini couch.

"Any particular reason?" He asks after he is done assessing me.

"Have to give God thanks for all my blessings. Despite me not getting my biggest desire, he has been constantly blessing me. With you, with my job now this house. I have to look at the bigger picture." I explained.

"Oh. Do I have to come?" He asks and I chuckled.

"Not if you don't want to." I say.

One thing I'm not going to do is force him. Especially, to come to my church that's a whole day event.

"I want to." He says after a while. That made me smile.

"Okay. I would love that." I tell him.

It's the truth.

Going to church by myself will lead to all those old people bombarding me with all sorts of questions. They love to ask young people about marriage and rebuke living in sin.

Having my husband there will shut up those questions. Although , they might press Dan too, but he's a big boy and can take care of himself.

"Shan mi hungry." Dan says after another half hour of us doing our own thing.

I looked over at him and sighed.

"Come cook for me nuh." He says in a whiney tone, making me side eye him.

"Shanique yuh know yuh a con artist though." He says when I didn't move from my spot on the bed.

The bed felt so good, I didn't want to come out.

"How mi a con artist?" I asked, finally getting up.

"Yuh use yuh cooking and tie me and after mi put ring pon yuh finger is like man a fi beg yuh fi feed me. A nuh good style that." He says and I burst out laughing.

"Who use food and tie yuh sir?"

"You! Nuh you come put down big cooking a mi place, knowing seh mi nuh used to good treatment. Now yuh waah man feed pon round bun." He says jokingly.

"Want a bet seh mi nuh cook anything?" I asked him and he quickly shook his head.

I left him in the room to go see what exactly we have here.

After a quick search I realized that we really didn't have groceries. CJ only buy juice and liquor.

Typical man.

I found a notepad in one of the drawers and started on a list of items that I need. I don't even know what to cook for Dan.

It's the middle of the week.

A thought came to my mind and I had to laugh at the irony. I'm going to ask him about it.

Walking into the room, I walked over to my bags looking for my purse.

"Yuh want stew peas?" I asked as I picked up the black purse with my wallet.

There wasn't a reply so I turned around to check if Dan had heard what I said.

He was staring at me real hard and I couldn't help the laugh that escaped me.

"Mi see seh yuh tek mi fi one big joke enuh Shanique."

"Yuh want the stew peas, yes or no?" I said trying to stop myself from laughing some more.

He hissed loudly, throwing himself on the bed.