Chapter 20

Shanique

Anderson came home drunk and horny last night.

Surprisingly, he chose to make love to me versus the rough, dominant sex I typically get while he's under the influence.

It felt amazing.

I left him in bed this morning still knocked out.

I wanted to make him a big healthy breakfast for the multiple orgasms he blessed me with, so I headed to the kitchen.

I passed Fabian sprawled out on the couch and I kiss my teeth at him blatantly ignoring me about my couch.

I found mommy in the kitchen and I wasn't surprised. She had been prepping dinner from last night so I know that she would be in here making it.

I walked around her saying a low "good morning" but as I expected she didn't acknowledge me.

I didn't pay that any mind as I was on a mission to feed my man.

Opening the fridge I took a look around to see what I had to make breakfast.

Anderson likes a big breakfast on Sundays and I'm kinda up for the challenge.

Pulling out the veggies I decided on steam veg with salt fish, yam and banana. I did my nails earlier this week so I won't be tackling any dumplings.

Anderson loved dumplings and I know I'll hear his mouth but I'm not making any.

Creating a space for myself at the kitchen island, I got to work on the food.

My mom and I worked silently, keeping out of each other's way. It's not like we in a malice or anything, but I'm not going to apologize for how I feel.

She and Anderson can sit and discuss whatever they want, I have no issues with that. Just don't come bring any unsolicited advice my way.

I got done with breakfast quickly.

I dished me and Anderson's and placed them on a tray along with his water and my juice. I don't feel like drinking any tea this morning so that will have to stay.

I made enough for everybody so if mom and Fabian wants they can help themselves.

I took up the food and made my way back to the bedroom where I found my husband up texting on his phone.

"Good morning babe." I say going to place the tray down on one of the side tables.

As soon as the tray was secured Anderson pulled me onto his lap in the bed. He furrowed his face into my neck and took a deep breath so I hugged him closer to me.

"You made me breakfast?" He asked and I confirmed.

He continued to hold me close and I hugged him back. Something tells me that he needs it.

"Wah yuh cook?" He asks and I tell him, earning multiple pecks on my neck.

"Me love the look Shan." He slapped my thighs and I eased off him sitting on the bed.

He lifted the tray over, placing it between us.

We started to eat in silence.

Moments like these are my favourite when we are locked away in our own bubble. It's peaceful.

"Shan, me couldn't get two dumpling?" Anderson asks cutting into a piece of yam.

"Never waah mess up my nails with nuh flour Dan." I say not lifting my head.

"Suh mommy never deh there weh yuh could a ask her fi maths it up for me?" He asked and I sighed.

Yah suh the fuckery start now.

"Mommy did a do her thing. Never did waah bother her." I say, not looking at him.

"Oh"

We didn't say anything more after that.

I know he is going to go to mommy when he leaves the room but I don't care. Him try eat what's in his plate and satisfy.

"Come here man. How yuh suh miserable?" He says, pulling me to him as soon as I was done eating.

"I'm not miserable." I say, pouting.

"Yuh miserable and love your own way Shanique." He counters and I looked away.

"Wah yuh and mommy have now?" He says, lifting my chin so I can look in his eyes.

I huffed.

"We nuh have nothing. Me just tell her fi mind her business." I tell him quietly and he drew back in shock.

"Wah yuh mean by she need to mind her business?" He asks lowly.

I didn't respond.

"Shanique, mi nuh want you a disrespect mommy Jackie enuh. Member seh a she alone we fucking have." He said sternly and I put my head down.

"She wanted to talk about the procedure. Mi just never waah hear it Anderson. Mi mek up my mind and yuh say you ago support me. I don't want anyone else's opinion on the matter." I explain, hoping that he will see my point of view.

Anderson suck him teeth off a me.

"What's her opinion?" He asks and I shut my mouth.

After mi never give her no time fi tell mi nothing.

"Yuh not even know" he says with a disappointing look.

I got up off the bed taking up the tray and walking out.

Anderson is never going to be on my side when it comes to my mother. Him rate her too much for that.

But at the end of the day, the whole a we a big people.

I'm going to do what I want and nobody is going to check me about it.

Mommy alright.

I walked into the kitchen and went straight to the sink. I washed up the breakfast plates quietly while thinking of my itinerary for the upcoming week.

I'm taking my mom and brother to the airport tomorrow, then I'm going to go get some small knotless braids. Tuesday I have some meetings with our US clients, they've been feeling neglected.

Plus Chioma may have made it slip that we are opening a second branch in Europe, and I keep getting enquiries about the US location.

Dan will have to answer to those.

Wednesday we leave for London. Me, Dan and Skeng. My little family.

"Mommy waah gwaan?" Anderson's voice sounded out in the space.

I rolled my eyes.

"Morning Dan, me deh yah a mek the dinner weh mi promise yuh." Mommy responds and I scoffed out loud.

I put the dishes away and walked out of the kitchen.

"Shanique!" Anderson  calls out to me aggressively but I ignored him, walking towards the garage.

I got in my car and drove out of the property at full speed.

Half way into my drive I realized that I had left my phone. All the better, nobody can call, call mi and ask mi nothing.

I just drove. I didn't have a destination in mind but I knew I just needed a break from the house.