Chapter 39

Anderson Grant

I've been back in Jamaica for a couple days now and I've actually been improving. Shanique has been by my side taking care of me and things have settled down a bit.

I am grateful because my unexplained illness had put a lot of things on the back burner and I need to get back to work. However, my wife has been watching me like a hawk. As soon as she see me pick up the laptop, she is there hovering and fussing about me needing to rest.

Hence why I'm currently in bed with the sheet wrapped around me, sipping on the tea she made me.

Me nah complain still because any minute now Shanique mad head can tek her and she run me out of her place.

This feel nice.

My dad keep calling, wanting to come visit but me nuh know if Shan ago want that, so I keep putting him off. Me sorry for him still cause I think he is a bit shaken up seeing that I originally fainted on him.

Him never leave my side at the hospital and I was high key grateful for that. I plan to broach the subject today with Shanique and see how she feels about him coming here or me going to see him.

"Are you done with the Tea?" Shanique appeared at the bedroom door, with her head peaking inside.

I nod, lifting the cup towards her.

She stepped inside to collect the mug and I held her hand. She looked at me questionably and my confidence wavered.

"Yuh a come back up here after you bring down that? Me waah ask yuh sumn." I say and her face relaxed

"Yeah, let me just go get sumn that I left and come back"

She was back in less than five minutes with a serving tray. At closer inspection of it, I noticed a small bowl with what smells strongly of peanut butter and a plate containing sliced pickles.

I twisted my face at the thought of Shan's choices and watched as she used a butter knife to smear the peanut butter on one of the pickles.

"A wah that yah eat?" I asked, trying to mask my disgust as best as possible.

"It's just a snack." She replied biting into the concoction. "Here, try it" she said pushing piece towards me.

I hesitated a bit but she looked so hopeful that I just made up my mind to eat it and bare the repercussions later. Nobody cya tell me seh this nah go mek mi vomit.

I bit into the piece that she offered me and chewed slowly. She was staring at me while I chewed, probably waiting on me to swallow.

To be honest, it really nuh taste bad.

"Give me piece more." I demanded and she passed a longer slice over to me.

This shit taste good high key.

We sat there snacking on the pickles and peanut butter in silence and it felt right. We haven't had a decent conversation surrounding our marriage here or anything yet but that will come. For now, I'm enjoying the pampering that Shanique is giving me.

"You wanted to tell me something?" Shan said after we had polished off the plate.

I sighed.